Home > Trip Reports > July 22, 2011, Mt Adams / Camp Muir

July 22, 2011, Mt Adams / Camp Muir

7/22/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by bhesco on 7/23/11 2:39am
Muir: top 500 vertical feet was heavily suncupped and I'd avoid it. Other than that, skied all the way to the parking lot other than about three short boot packs near Pan Point. Pan Point is closed now, trail is up west side.

Adams: this is from last weekend but the data is likely still good. Went up summer route and at 7,100 feet did a quick traverse to the West / Southwest up a natural incline that didn't have any cornices at the top (everywhere else did).

7500 ft there is a deep crevice running parallel to the ridge / cornices and it's probably about 50 ft long.

Around 7600 or so, there's a crevice across from the rocks on the left to the edge of the step section into the glacier. It was 1-2 feet deep and filled with snow but it could be much deeper underneath. Above that the snow looked iffy so I went over the rocks at that point.

There was reportedly a crevice below Pikers Peak on the right side and most everyone turned around in the whiteout conditions. The left side up the false summit was fine.

Waited 4 hours on top of Piker's for a brief opening in the fog / clouds and I saw the summit for about 30 seconds GPS and compass weren't jiving too well and I wasn't taking any chances, especially since it was my first time up there and solo).

There are some cornices and/or left over step from a previous avy tight at the top of the true summit, left side was ok though. Waited an hour on top to get a visual on the shack as well as the highest point further away but could never see anything. 5 min before my designated turnaround time the winds picked up even more and it started to snow so I headed down, going back via Winter route to Cold Springs and via road to Morrison, getting back at 10pm.

I can't scroll up on my phone to modify this but my initial route up was from Morrison Creek Campground via Shorthorn trail until about 5,400 then up Morrison Creek drainage then up summer route to lunch counter, where I camped.

Reply to this TR

july-22-2011-mt-adams-camp-muir
bhesco
2011-07-23 09:39:25