Home > Trip Reports > June 20, 2011, Mt Adams

June 20, 2011, Mt Adams

6/20/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jtack on 7/21/11 9:05am
The word was out, the Cold Springs camp ground was open, and there was a good number of people climbing and skiing. Wednesday turned out to be a great weather window, clear and a million, skiing snow started at about 6000 and with a 0500 start the snow was firm and the traveling was easy.  Met several people on the way down who were able to summit on the 19th but did it all in a whiteout, and then endured a night of hammering winds on mid mountain for evening entertainment.  Made the summit at noon, along with three other parties via the south aspect of Pikers peak, great views all round, there was a brisk NW wind that made loitering on the summit uncomfortable.  There was a skiff of new from the summit down 1200 feet or so, then firm for another 500 then it was great corn all the way to about 9000, below that it got progressively heaver, and more sun cupped, but still great fun.  I was tempted to try the SW chutes, but being by myself decided to take the more populated south route.  Talked with 3 guys on the way down and suggested they try it, which they did and said it was great......except the traverse back to the trail.  As usual plenty of pleasant people at the camp ground, and on the mountain. If you are looking for good skiing an early start helps going, and coming. 
Thanks for the update! My brother and I are planning to head up there tomorrow afternoon to camp around Lunch Counter and go up to the summit early on Saturday.

Reply to this TR

june-20-2011-mt-adams
jtack
2011-07-21 16:05:00