Home > Forum > DC alternate route questions

DC alternate route questions

• rlsg
  • [rlsg]
More
20 Jul 2011 20:53 #201286 by rlsg
DC alternate route questions was created by rlsg
Just got done skiing Bachelor (why not, it is 25 min. from my house..) this evening and had noticed there was a touch of new as things had really smoothed out--it was great up on the moraine above Skyliner lift and the summit will be great tomorrow. With this bit of info, I was thinking that maybe Rainier to the hikers rt of DC and up to the summit might be smoother now if there was a little bit of new snow...

Anybody have any idea how that might be? Was thinking of skiing this area and then maybe hit the Paradise for the finish. Have skiied the Emmons so I'm ready for another aspect.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• bfree32
  • [bfree32]
More
21 Jul 2011 01:28 - 21 Jul 2011 01:41 #201288 by bfree32
Replied by bfree32 on topic Re: DC alternate route questions
These recent onshore-flow systems bringing the clouds and occasional rain have been coming in fairly low. I doubt there's any new snow up towards summit, but could be wrong (edit, climbing blog says they've seen some light accumulations. Light accumulations won't change much about the penitentes anyway.) Snow conditions were fine when I was up there last week, but the route in general isn't too conducive to skiing anymore. It traverses way over to the Emmons and then back, with snow free sections at Cathedral Gap and on the DC. Lots of cracks opening up above, and surely it's even more open by now.

The Paradise glacier is definitely in great shape for skiing, but you might just be better off ditching the skis above that.

• rlsg
  • [rlsg]
More
21 Jul 2011 11:50 #201294 by rlsg
Replied by rlsg on topic Re: DC alternate route questions
Thanks for the great info. I suspected it might not be in condition now. Paradise glacier sounds good if I get up that way...got a lot of fat to burn so might as well get a good ski run in a beautiful setting.

Anybody know of a place I could sleep in my car and not get hassled near Paradise?