Home > Trip Reports > July 17 - Hidden Lake Peak

July 17 - Hidden Lake Peak

7/15/11
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by smoogle on 7/19/11 2:42pm
The husband bought me a backcountry set-up for my birthday earlier this year.  A few firsts: my first trip report, my first July ski, and I venture to state the first French bulldog ascent of Hidden Lake Peak.

The rain started coming down during our muddy hike through the forest, but luckily it stopped soon after we reached the open basin of the East Fork Sibley Creek, where we were able to transition to skis/skins.  We ascended the creek basin to above the knolls, traversed to the west directly below the true summit, and then straight up.  The clouds teased us with peak-a-boo views of Baker and Backbone Ridge....After the dogs had the requisite summit nap in the sun, we descended into pea soup along the Northeast ridge and the dropped into the basin approximately halfway to Sibley Pass.  The snow was slushy on top of a firm base and suncupped down lower, but still pretty awesome.  Although the parking lot was full, we only crossed paths with one hiker and saw another party of skiers and their dogs from afar.  The Derailed Burger with onion rings at the Train Wreck in Burlington was well earned.
I love it when you climb through the rain to blue skies...  nice TR.

Welcome to TAY and backcountry skiing, smoogle.
Nice TR... smudge is a pretty cute pooch.

I like the last photo of Smudge.  He appears to be evaluating whether or not to follow the group.

Welcome.

author=Zap link=topic=21506.msg92125#msg92125 date=1311175868]
I like the last photo of Smudge.  He appears to be evaluating whether or not to follow the group.

Smudge knows a heuristic trap when he sees one.

Here's Midge, the energetic one in a rare still moment during the descent...

Reply to this TR

july-17-hidden-lake-peak
smoogle
2011-07-19 21:42:43