Home > Trip Reports > July 18: Mt. Adams

July 18: Mt. Adams

7/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jesski on 7/18/11 2:24pm
Road is officially clear to Cold Springs C.G.

Intermittent snow on S. Climb approach-- tennies/ approach shoes helpful but by no means required.

X2. Considering weekend trip and wanting beta....

Hi, Amar and Andy--

We didn't summit, nor did we ski anything other than part of the S. Climb/ S. Rib.

There was a growing lenticular that rendered things firmer up higher; suncups and runnels are rampant down lower.

...and the call of park laps on dynafits @ the nearby Timberline @ Mt. Hood was stronger than the need to climb in a whiteout.

Thanks! I can definitely relate to making such a call :).

I was up there Friday/Saturday.  Suncups and runnels abound although the snow was soft enough that skiing them wasnt bad.  We bailed on a summit because the weather was not inviting and just had a good time skiing around.  We were able to ski continuously from 8k to about 1/4 mile to the TH. 

Was up there the Friday/Saturday.  Weather was just what it is this summer...  Also would like to point out if you are wearing tennis shoes as approach shoes then expect cold wet feet unless you are changing into skis quickly.  Not sure where I would walk with tennis shoes or even approach shoes at this time.  Wet slushy snow...

Reply to this TR

july-18-mt-adams
jesski
2011-07-18 21:24:42