Home > Trip Reports > July 18, 2011, - ONP - Eagle Pt Environs

July 18, 2011, - ONP - Eagle Pt Environs

7/18/11
WA Olympics
Posted by Gary_H on 7/18/11 12:30pm
The persistent unstable weather pattern continues to foil our summer mountain plans. What was originally planned to be a high alpine backpacking trip was reduced in successive steps to a single day ski tour.

After accepting the fact that our original and subsequent plans for this week would not be realized, Jeff and I decided to take advantage of what looked to be the best day this week to do some touring. The Obstruction Pt road opened as far as Waterhole at the end of last week. This allows more convenient access to the terrain between there and Obstruction Pt.

An early morning start rewarded us with sunshine and blue sky and some great views of the Olympics. As we climbed towards Eagle Pt, intermittent bands of valley clouds began rising up and over the ridge line, obscuring the slopes of greatest interest and frustrating our ability to evaluate skiing options. Finally, with a decent break in the clouds, we stumbled on the line skied by "Runcle" the day before. We followed his tracks down a narrow north facing chute for almost 1,000 vf., thanks Doug.  ;)

After booting back to the ridge line, we headed for a series of west facing chutes further out the road. Again, the clouds played peak-a-boo with us, but finally parted long enough for us to get two nice descents down these steep runs.

Here some pictures from the day;
   1.The Elk Mountain Chutes from Eagle Pt.
   2. Jeff dropping into the fog
   3. Spring flowers

Here's a link to a few more pictures: https://picasaweb.google.com/GaryJanH/20110718WaterholeEagleMtSkiTour

Gary
Glad the weather broke for you! There wasn't a whole lot of wiggle room for operator error in that slot!

Well Done.

Good job, Gary!  What about the Elk Mtn. traverse?

Bummer about the weather, although the terrain around Eagle Point isn't a bad consolation prize. 

Thanks for the report Gary. I may hit this area tomorrow Thu if the weather looks clear.

FYI I've done two trips up Klahanie and have been super impressed at the vertical and the terrain on the N. Side. Furthermore, there seem to be multiple inviting high angle chutes to the east.

Snow conditions were amazing on July4, when I recorded this video. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuxAjBhgBj4. It froze so solid that AM (at only 4K feet!) I had a heck of a time booting up some of the bigger snowfields covering switchback and could have really used crampons.

On July 11th you could still ski a full 1400 vertical and connect the two hanging bowls, but conditions were a bit sloppier.

This is an area that looks very interesting in winter, but full of avy exposure.

Reply to this TR

july-18-2011-onp-eagle-pt-environs
Gary_H
2011-07-18 19:30:48