Home > Trip Reports > July 16, 2011, Chinook Pass

July 16, 2011, Chinook Pass

7/16/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by trees4me on 7/18/11 3:45am
Emily hadn't been skiing since late March and was itching to get out.  We got to Chinook Pass and she was hiking up around 2 on Saturday.  Since we weren't sure how she'd do she went right up on the 400' run just north out of the parking lot.

E gets to go skiing

Got a few sun breaks and a few laps in while I watched our 3-week old from the bottom.

Later on, I got out with a couple other friends we'd talked into going and we climbed up south Naches Peak and skied to the hairpin.  Pretty big suncups and runnels down by the lake, but very nice up high.

Looking down.

Got a good camp in Saturday night and out for mt biking / hiking on Sunday.  woohoo summer!
The run north from the parking area that Emily selected can be ideal.  It's an easy boot up plus it receives sufficient use that the sun cups get shaved down.  I like the photo with you and the new trail breaker in your arms.  I think it's critical to expose newborns to the snow early and whisper in their ear that "its fun to break trail for mom and dad".  I have used this routine for all 5 of my grandsons and they are approaching the critical age where I'll learn if my plan has been successful. Seeing I have 3 in New Hampshire and 2 in North Bend, I'm hoping for 1 on each coast.  ;)

Glad to you see you had a great day.

wisdom    :)

East coast or west coast, you'll always have a trailbreaker on a powder day!

When old until I get to start training him to pull me with a harness, adventure race style...

Reply to this TR

july-16-2011-chinook-pass
trees4me
2011-07-18 10:45:18