Home > Trip Reports > Goat Rocks, July 8-11, 2011

Goat Rocks, July 8-11, 2011

7/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ChrisR on 7/12/11 10:39am
Colleen and I skied Goat Rocks this past weekend. The road was clear virtually to the trailhead, where only deadfall prevented you from parking right at the Snowgrass Flats trailhead. Bugs are bad there.

The trail is virtually snow free to the bridge over the Goat river, but snow thereafter. As first time visitors to the area, the crux was to navigate from the bridge to where the trail ascends the spur, which itself was more or less snow free until 1600 meters. From that point on we could skin.

There is a ton of snow up high, two meters plus. Here is Colleen serving as the scale model.

The sun cups and runnels were less pronounced on higher or steeper slopes and in McCall Basin. The skiing in McCall was fabulous!

Here I am dropping into "Bunny Couloir".

And, to use up the quota, the obligatory shot of a skier (Colleen) and Mt. Adams.

We had a great camp, above and west of the flats, near running water.

Thanks for the report Chris, good to get up to date info on a great area.  Snow looks nice and smooth on the ski slopes. :-)

Welcome to TAY.

author=silaswild link=topic=21458.msg91886#msg91886 date=1310521835]
Welcome to TAY.

Yeah, howdy, northern neighbor.  I checked your profile when I saw the elevation in meters.
5 years from registering to your first TR---don't wait that long to post the next one.  ;D

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Yes, I have been lurking for years. This site is inspirational, but to "turn all year" near where we live is but a dream.

Sorry about the meterage business. We were travelling light and I left the Suunto manual at home!

A link to more pictures may appear sometime soon, to inspire other lurkers to head up to Goat Rocks.

Cool TR. I was out that way a few years back around the same time that I was obsessed with Butter Creek near Packwood, WA. Ended up touring as far as Johnson Peak / Lily Basin one day, and by then the hook was very well set.

Penticton is a cool town with amazing rock and a very nice Ramada.

Here is a link of a slide show for our skiing and non-skiing friends and relatives,

https://picasaweb.google.com/chris325rogers/GoatRocksJuly8112011

On behalf of the fair city, thanks. Penticton does have great sport climbing, though I am a "poseur" in that regard.

author=telemack link=topic=21458.msg91890#msg91890 date=1310524581]
Yeah, howdy, northern neighbor.  I checked your profile when I saw the elevation in meters.
5 years from registering to your first TR---don't wait that long to post the next one.   ;D

And a fellow knee dropper too! Welcome!

Reply to this TR

goat-rocks-july-8-11-2011
ChrisR
2011-07-12 17:39:56