Home > Trip Reports > July 8-10, 2011, Adams/Muir

July 8-10, 2011, Adams/Muir

7/8/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by skiyak777 on 7/11/11 3:30am
Spent the weekend skiing Hood Thurs, Adams Fri/Sat and the Muir snowfield Sun on the way back to Seatac. Still very good conditions up high on all three, although suncups are starting to get significant and dust from the Nisqually Ice Cliffs collapse are hastening the process on parts of the Muir. Never managed to arrange for a partner, but there are so many friendly people out skiing in the PNW that it didn't really matter.

More photos here: http://skiyak777.smugmug.com/Skiing/PNW-Volcano-Tour-July-2011/17996285_zmFgpd#1378855705_Rpr3sr5
Adams approach road...conditions update?

author=dkoelle link=topic=21443.msg91806#msg91806 date=1310414604]
Adams approach road...conditions update?

Road was impassable about 2 miles below the Cold Springs campground. The snowdrifts weren't that big (I'd guess you could get over them with a 4WD and they will melt quickly) but there are quite a few downed trees along the way, some of which are pretty large, so until the forest service removes them, it will require some hiking.

Nice triple. Well done.

I hiked up there that weekend! I was there. Sadly, I  did not have my skis with me. Nice pics!

Did you skin up much of the approach, or was the snow consolidated enough to just boot up?  Thinking of going this next weekend if the weather holds.  Guess I won't be going solo based on the number of people already running up and down in your pics.
MT

author=Dr. Telemark link=topic=21443.msg91845#msg91845 date=1310479807]
Did you skin up much of the approach, or was the snow consolidated enough to just boot up?  Thinking of going this next weekend if the weather holds.  Guess I won't be going solo based on the number of people already running up and down in your pics.
MT

I was able to start skinning shortly after Cold Springs (maybe 5500 feet)  and kept my skis on 'til about 11,000 feet. I'm sure you could boot up, but I hate hiking in ski boots and carrying my skis.

I just wanted to note how proud I am as a Massachusetts resident about to fly out for a trip that will probably include the SW Chutes, that the most recent beta thereof is from a fellow Massachusetts resident.
(Get with it you PNW slackers!)

author=Jonathan_S. link=topic=21443.msg91857#msg91857 date=1310491076]
I just wanted to note how proud I am as a Massachusetts resident about to fly out for a trip that will probably include the SW Chutes, that the most recent beta thereof is from a fellow Massachusetts resident.
(Get with it you PNW slackers!)
Yes, the people who post trip reports are the only people out skiing.

If you dare read the TGR East Coast thread, you will conclude that some people definitely can't ski (or bike, or kayak, or do pretty much anything) w/o posting!

Peace brothers. Glad east coasters are reading how good it is out here.
A Mass. native and 29 year PNW resident.

author=Jonathan_S. link=topic=21443.msg91860#msg91860 date=1310492910]
If you dare read the TGR East Coast thread, you will conclude that some people definitely can't ski (or bike, or kayak, or do pretty much anything) w/o posting!

I took your dare and was amazed at what I saw on that thread. What the hell is going on over there on the EC. Do they they post a TR about everything they do? Far worse than the  TR narcissism that goes on at TAY.
Sorry OP, but Jonathan_S started the thread drift.

Yes, kind of like a Facebook "wall" there on TGR?

By contrast, I sincerely do want to thank the OP and other TAY posters for their valuable beta at this time of year, given constantly changing road access, snowlines, suncups, crevasses issues, etc.

author=skiyak777 link=topic=21443.msg91810#msg91810 date=1310417008]
Road was impassable about 2 miles below the Cold Springs campground. The snowdrifts weren't that big (I'd guess you could get over them with a 4WD and they will melt quickly) but there are quite a few downed trees along the way, some of which are pretty large, so until the forest service removes them, it will require some hiking.

Hi - your post brought back fond memories of a Hood/Adams/St.Helen's triple I did years ago. The final St.Helen's climb was memorable for the 4am logging truck horn that roused us from our side of the road camp between Adams and St. Helen's and our rescue of a confused hiker on the lava trail on our way out who asked us where the trail was when he was standing in the middle of it.

Anyway, I'm headed to the Ape Canyon/Lewis River east of Cougar, WA to mountain bike and am wondering at what elevation you started hitting snow drifts on the approaches - any info would be appreciated.

Hey- that was me on Rainier on Sunday skinning up along side you with the tele skis.  Those shark fins leaving Muir Camp were pretty treacherous.  I couldn't believe the # of climbers on the mtn. last weekend.  The best were the spandex-wearing speed hikers who made it up to Muir in 2 hrs and the not exactly climber-looking woman with Uggs who flew up the moutain in 3 hrs.  I ended up skiing the Nisqually chutes- mainly just get away from the hiking hordes and their tracks.  I had some great turns, but I paid the price by having to hike out.  I thought I could traverse around to gain the ridge again, but I kind of freaked myself out when I realized I was on a steep slope covered with semi-rotten snow with a cliff band below me going down to the glacier.  Once I got to a flattish spot I took off my skis and quickly boot packed out to rejoin the hordes on the main route.  Now I think I understand why people don't ski it this late in the season.

I'd bet money that Jonathon could skin up to Muir in less than two hours. I wonder if we can find him some Dynafit compatible Uggs.

Steve, although there were a few snowdrifts around 4600 feet, most of the road was clear. I'd guess you'll be fine biking up to about 5000 feet.

Reply to this TR

july-8-10-2011-adams-muir
skiyak777
2011-07-11 10:30:15