Home > Trip Reports > July 10, 2011, Mt. Hood

July 10, 2011, Mt. Hood

7/10/11
OR Mt Hood
Posted by telemack on 7/11/11 2:35am
Nick Maddox and I skied the Old Chute.  Snow was soft low, then firmed up a lot around the top of the lifts.  All the early climbers were down by the time we climbed above Hogsback, and we were the only ones on the summit for an hour.  Just as we headed down up came TAYers Khanh, Steph B and Dave B.  Nice to meet you folks.   :)
It was good to have a support group for the top bit, which had not softened much by 12:15.  I sidestepped the first bit with an axe, then Nick and I made some steep turns, traversed right of Hot Rocks, and descended the slope below Castle Crags-the Zig Zag Glacier Headwall?  Near the base of Crater Rock I found a single ski and Dynafit binding; wonder how it got there.   ???  The lower slopes were like margarine (but with odd ice chunks lurking); reminded me that Palmer Glacier was my first experience of cruising endless Cascade corn.
Snow conditions were ugly up high, but it was a great tour.

Hogsback Heaven
Nick and Mack went to summit Mount Hood,
And to ski it since they thought they could.
Some sections were burly,
But they never got surly-
The bottom, they knew, would be good.
It was nice to meet you too telemack!

Nice to meet you too telemack. We had a great time skiing after the blue ice part at the  top. Hoping dave b will post some of his gorgeous pictures!

How is the 'shrund at the bottom of the Old Chute?  Is that a different chute than people go up most years?

I am an experienced Sierra skier going solo on hood when the weather clears this Friday.

Also, if I were to drop my skis would the hogback above crater rock be the best place to do so?

Glad to see that you checked another one off your list.  ;)

Thanks, Zap.  Let's get on it somewhere locally; I enjoyed your TR from Dege (except ron j's laceration).
author=harpo-the-skier link=topic=21440.msg91843#msg91843 date=1310475849]
How is the 'shrund at the bottom of the Old Chute?  Is that a different chute than people go up most years?
I am an experienced Sierra skier going solo on hood when the weather clears this Friday.
Also, if I were to drop my skis would the hogback above crater rock be the best place to do so?

Harpo:  The Palmer Glacier routes are all the same to the Hogsback (DON"T climb LEFT/WEST of Crater Rock), then the Pearly Gates is the rightmost slot above the schrund.  The schrund doesn't cross the Hogsback.  Old Chute is about 100 yards left of the Hogsback, and was the only line wide enough to ski.  The issue is whether the chute and slopes below it will soften enough to hold an edge.  The Hogsback is a common spot to drop slideysticks---Leave a note! ( ;) see recent Random Tracks). 
Good luck with your tour.  We may get some photos on here this week.

Cool Mack!

You've been gettin down this spring.

I was up there the weekend of the fourth. Just to clarify what telemark said:  "The schrund doesn't cross the Hogsback."

The old chute(s) is accessed from the hogsback by crossing hot crocks (a pile of rocks and dirt) and climbing straight up the slope to the summit ridge. There is no bergschrund anywhere near this route, although there is a volcanic vent that is in your fall line if you stray to far climbers right (east). There's a bootpack up to the hogsback and down to hotrocks.

I said chute(s) because there are a couple of different chutes of different widths that you can climb as well. It only makes a difference for the last 60-80 meters before the summit ridge though.

The Pearly Gates is often more popular most years, because it's more direct. The Hogsback runs from crater rock to just west of the Pearly Gates. The bergschrund is wide open bisects the Hogs back about 2/3 of the way up, hence everyone's current preference for the old chute. I did see a pair of climbers going up the pearly gates, but they had at least one cravasse in their fall line. Check out this for later season picture of all of this: http://www.14ers.com/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=27446

Cheers,

Mack,
It was a great day to be out.  Thanks again for pushing me to get out of town.

author=alecapone link=topic=21440.msg91852#msg91852 date=1310488544]
Cool Mack!
You've been gettin down this spring.

Is it spring already?  Snow level is back down to 7500' this week again.  ::)

Thanks for the photos, Nick!

Nice Mack (and friends),

We would have enjoyed tagging along with you on this one.  :)

I will have to say our weekend spent near sea level was interesting and satisfying.   ;)

The "Deception" of what works and what doesn't is always intriguing.  :D

I will be in touch,

Gary

Reply to this TR

july-10-2011-mt-hood
telemack
2011-07-11 09:35:53