Home > Trip Reports > January 3, 2005, Baker area, Barometer Mtn.

January 3, 2005, Baker area, Barometer Mtn.

1/3/05
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by sb on 1/3/05 7:54am
I spent the day touring with Tod Eastman out towards Barometer Mtn (we didn't actually set foot on it) and then back via the notch in the middle of Table Mtn.  Conditions were wonderful, near perfect.  6 inches of powder, stable snow, sunny, good coverage. Surprisingly, the snow was even better than a few days ago, on all exposures. The only "problem" was the great number of tracks everywhere in the Bagley Lakes basin (thanks to the good weather and conditions and the holiday traffic).  Outside of that tracks were rare to nonexistent and the possibilities seemed endless (at least for a short midwinter day).
Sorry about all those tracks SB. The conditions sure were sweet this weekend, especially on north facing slopes.

Wolfs, Brother of Wolfs, and I were there as well. Out past table mountain. We had intended to ski the slope beneath Coleman pinnacle, but alas I was too slow.

Saw some nice figure elevens done by some radical snowboarders. Lamely we made turns on the nice untracked snow. Sure was cold in the shade of Ptarmigan Ridge.

Sure was cold in the shade of Ptarmigan Ridge.

Here, here!!

On the second day of this new year, Gabe (my son), Ted and Paul (telefriends) and I were also enjoying the wonderland around Table Mountain.
  The plan was to skin up to the start of the Ptarmagan Ridge and then make a decision as to where we would do our turns. As the sun crested theShuksan Armlight,dry snow sparkled like millions of diamonds. The deep blue sky provided a dramatic backdrop for the white slope, the green tree islands, the exposed rocky ridges and the steam plume from Baker's crater. It was the kind of day that reminded me why I started X-C skiing decades ago....a time when I was satisfied with a day on the snow without ever carving a turn. Even with the popularity of the route, there was still lots of unmarked acreage once we left the Austin Pass behind.
  The snow depth was adequate, though not particularly deep. The top of the Artist Point outhouse was free of snow and the parking lot was obvious. The path under Table's southern cliffs had been broke well below the summer trail.Snow slides extended further down the valley in sections, but the rubble was skiable and the avy risk appeared to be low.
  We were treated to a bit of a show on the north facing slope of the first hill on the Ptarmagan route as we stopped for lunch Their clean turns indicated stability and helped convince us that the conditions were right for a first ski down off of the Table. We climbed up on the western side of the plateau of the northern arm. Some boarders joined us from the ridge above; they continued on to the notch where the mountain bends.They stated that an easier way down was possible by dropping into the Herman saddle. A momentary lack of confidence swayed us into taking their advise.
  The ski across the untouched, sparkling powder was spectacular and the views of the 800' cliffs were striking. However when we reached the northern terminus we could only look at people some 150' below and guess as to whether we could reach them safely. So we retraced our tracks back to the notch and telemarked the 1,300' to the Bagley Lakes without too much difficulty.
  I found that the snow in the main gully was the most consistent and that my concerns about icy conditions were unfounded. I only wished that I could have been on my wider Havocs rather than my World Pistes, but they definitely floated better than Gabe's Tua Megas. After decades of gazing at Table Mountain's profile it felt great to have finally become intimate with its flanks on skis.
  It wasn't difficult to take beautiful pictures on this trip. I do not have a website to store them, but if any one is interested, they can email me at This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

I've found a place to store my outdoor pictures. Here is one of many beautiful shots from that trip.

Reply to this TR

january-3-2005-baker-area-barometer-mtn
sb
2005-01-03 15:54:27