Home > Trip Reports > July 9, Daniels and Hinman, Alpine Lakes

July 9, Daniels and Hinman, Alpine Lakes

7/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Oyvind_Henningsen on 7/10/11 1:51am
Tobae and I had a great trip yesterday to a superb area with still lots of snow coverage from almost middle of July.  From our trailhead bivy we were on the meandering trail at 5 am heading from Peggy's pond.  Snow was firm and we kept sneakers on till the pond.  It was good to have an ice ax on the traverse across Cathedral in the early hours, but it is melting out fast and soon it will be trail all the way. 

Skinned from Peggy's pond to within 50' of first summit, Tobae was glad to have ski crampons.  Went on to the middle and west summits of Daniel.  There is easy access to the Lynch Glacier on the col between these two peaks and we enjoyed a very long and unbroken glacier ski down to Pea Soup Lake.  Decision time.  We continued on and dropped almost another 1000 on the left side of the creek draining the lake.  It was a long skin up to the top of Hinman, but the ski down made it oh so worth it. 

Skinning back up to Pea Soup Lake was steep ;-)  We traversed from the inlet of the lake to the South to a 7000' col in Daniels E ridge.  Skiing down to Peggy's Pond was great and the walk out was long and tiring.  Had to put headlamps on at the last 200' before the car.  Thanks Tobae for a super great trip.
The only photos I have of Oyvind are of his back since he was always so far in front of me-thanks for those great skin tracks!  The Lynch glacier was a fantastic ski and there are tons of potential lines on Hinman.  Snow was very smooth with a dusting of fresh above 6000 ft.  Suncups and runnels below.  Scatter creek crossing looked intimidating in the dark but not a problem in the Subaru.

That looks like a great trip!  Way to nail the corn boys.

Nice work Tobae & Oyvind!  Apparently if three days isn't enough, one day is the way to go... :)

Nice to have you back in the hood Oyvind. Great trip you two!

Thanks for the map! Great pics too.

I am taking a backpacking tip in the neighborhood in a week and a half (coming from out of town and bringing along some less experienced backpackers) and was wondering if you got a look over at the West aspect of Granite Mountain? Any idea if camping at Robin's Lake would be feasible? Did you get a look at Jade lake from the Lynch Glacier? From your report it sounds like the general snow line right now is 5400'...
Thanks ahead of time for the beta!
Brian 8)

Well done Oyvind and Tobae!  On Saturday evening and Sunday, Khanh and I wondered how you two were doing. It looks like you had a great trip.

Tobae - you're amazing!

Ya "boys" way to get some!  Guess Tobae skied it like a man! looks like a wonderful trip, thanks for the great beta and photos!! You guys rock!

author=weakknees link=topic=21427.msg91772#msg91772 date=1310361983]
I am taking a backpacking tip in the neighborhood in a week and a half (coming from out of town and bringing along some less experienced backpackers) and was wondering if you got a look over at the West aspect of Granite Mountain? Any idea if camping at Robin's Lake would be feasible? Did you get a look at Jade lake from the Lynch Glacier? From your report it sounds like the general snow line right now is 5400'...
Thanks ahead of time for the beta!
Brian 8)

I didn't take photos of that area but it was under snow.  The snow level hiking into Squaw Lake was 4500 ft and solid snow at the lake (4800)

Reply to this TR

july-9-daniels-and-hinman-alpine-lakes
Oyvind_Henningsen
2011-07-10 08:51:18