Home > Trip Reports > July 5, 2011, Silver

July 5, 2011, Silver

7/5/11
Posted by ND on 7/6/11 3:04pm
While emailing back and forth at work Poppoff and I made a 2pm decision to head to to Silver Peak after work mainly for the novelty of saying that we rode our snowmobiles in the lower 48 in July.  Matt left work early in Yakima, loaded the sleds up and went to Easton to pick up Brendon and Stef.  I left work at 5pm on the dot and ran home to grab my gear in record time. 

The road has some pretty bad washboard sections that I don't remember being an issue two weeks ago, don't go flying up there.  The meadow is pretty much entirely melted out to the big whoops were you can't get a normal vehicle past now.  Don't plan on touring the meadow section anymore. 

The rest of the crew had gone up already as I was fairly late on arrival.  I loaded my gear up swatting away at mosquitos and was thankful for the deet I now pack in my car after having a fun experience at silver the same time two years ago, (it ended with me looking like a leper).
After a lot of scouting I found the access route to the upper bowls through the woods, a bit tricky on a 162 track snowmobile to say the least.  Met up with Matt halfway up the upper bowls, he had come back down to help me navigate the woods. 

Once at the top section we fired up the BBQ like any good redneck snowmobiler would do, hey it sure beats the jetboil!

After a good diner of burgers we start bootpacking the lines.  Everyone else went up the usual western aspects of the upper bowl, which are heavily runneled but soft enough to still be great riding.

I had my eyes set to the east.  I've been staring at the chutes on the easetern aspect all spring, but never had the right conditions to ride them (overhanging cornices, extremely heavy snow, horrible light etc..).  I set my eyes on what looked like the longest run that had an area that held a promise of strapping in at the top. 
Shortly into the hike I was really questioning the wisdom of boot packing 45 degree cups with a fall line sloping into rocks with no ice axe or crampons, but kept on kicking my way to the top.

Once there I had a simply amazing view of the sunset out in the snoqualmie valley.  I also had a swarm of mosquitos that wanted to get friendly, again thank god for deet.  Strapping in proved interesting, but I was able to make a decent ledge on the top and brace against the rock wall.  In my haste to get hiking I left my radio behind, so Matt and I had a fun echo yelling match from the west to the east bowl.  He made his way over to get some pictures just as the alpenglow was really showing on the upper part of the chute.  Couldn't ask for anything better.  The corn was deep enough to hold a good edge and soft enough that the cups were a non issue.  Even the lower section of the valley was great.

I booked it back up to the upper bowl and we started packing as the light was fading.  I was just in time to see Brendon and Steff make some turns, or rather in Brendon's case just straightline between some rocks.  Stef hiked the ridge again to get her third run in on the way out.  The ride out with headlights went surprisingly smooth.  We were loaded up and back on the road around 10:45.

Time to get the sleds to the sheds and the hiking boots by the front door. So ends day #2 for month 19 :)
Easiest night ski ever! In July! BOOYAH!

author=ND link=topic=21401.msg91555#msg91555 date=1310018673]
Time to get the sleds to the sheds and the hiking boots by the front door. So ends day #2 for month 19 :)

Awesome!!

Interesting - we did Silver the day before (on the 4th) and had no mosquitos, although we hit it in the morning. Still in waay better shape than I'd expect for early July.

Dear Sirs ,
Any Green Trails Map will show  that it is illegal to operate snowmobiles on Silver Peak .
Any questions call U.S.F.S. North Bend District L.E.O. Mac Intosh and am certain that he can help clarify this , ( 425) 888-1421

Seriously -  couldn't get in sans snow machine from the road???

http://www.parks.wa.gov/winter/boundaries/

Silver Peak is well away from any wilderness boundary.   During the winter Boyne has the lease to run cross country ski operations on the road out through Windy Pass, which is the only viable snowmobile access to Silver Peak.  

The mosquitos were most definitely out in force down in the meadow, but this was late in the evening also.  I hiked silver around the 3rd of July in 09 and was eaten alive.  The only snow left then was a little strip down the middle of the valley.  It was fairly bad.  This year is nothing short of amazing!

Donnelly, please film the reaction there in Pensacola when you tell them people even snowmobile in July :)

I think you missed the first part of my post:
"mainly for the novelty of saying that we rode our snowmobiles in the lower 48 in July"

author=Chamois link=topic=21401.msg91578#msg91578 date=1310076149]
Seriously -  couldn't get in sans snow machine from the road???

Of course you can, I've done it more then a few times.  I'll be hiking it again next week after work as well  :)

author=tomd link=topic=21401.msg91577#msg91577 date=1310074954]
Dear Sirs ,
Any Green Trails Map will show  that it is illegal to operate snowmobiles on Silver Peak .
Any questions call U.S.F.S. North Bend District L.E.O. Mac Intosh and am certain that he can help clarify this , ( 425) 888-1421
I just got off the phone with him, he said if you need a better map he can help clarify this, his number is ( 425) 888-1421

author=ND link=topic=21401.msg91580#msg91580 date=1310076919]
I think you missed the first part of my post:
"mainly for the novelty of saying that we rode our snowmobiles in the lower 48 in July"

Of course you can, I've done it more then a few times.  I'll be hiking it again next week after work as well  :)

To each their own I suppose then.  FYI, I did the loop a several weeks ago with one car - ski from Hyak, down to the lake, out the trailhead, and hitch back up.  Yep, my bias - hate friggin snow machines, except when working in Ak.

pretty sweet to get a bbq and ski in the backcountry on a weeknight! 

:thumbsup:

author=airpoppoff link=topic=21401.msg91581#msg91581 date=1310077355]
I just got off the phone with him, he said if you need a better map he can help clarify this, his number is ( 425) 888-1421

Sorry, I'm a little dense today:  airpoppoff can you clarify what the LEO said?  Is snowmobiling allowed on Silver Peak or not?

author=ski_photomatt link=topic=21401.msg91590#msg91590 date=1310089075]
Sorry, I'm a little dense today:  airpoppoff can you clarify what the LEO said?  Is snowmobiling allowed on Silver Peak or not?
Yes it is. Outside of boyne's permit AKA: when the summit closes

author=ND link=topic=21401.msg91555#msg91555 date=1310018673]
The road has some pretty bad washboard sections that I don't remember being an issue two weeks ago, don't go flying up there.  The meadow is pretty much entirely melted out to the big whoops were you can't get a normal vehicle past now.

Those washboards were not there two weeks ago, maybe were caused by so many people going up, and then using brakes a lot driving down?  I drove up tonight to ski, but was disappointed by a snowpile too big for my Tercel to drive through, far from the continuous snow.  Need to better coordinate with you sledheads!  Like the BBQ idea, too.

author=airpoppoff link=topic=21401.msg91602#msg91602 date=1310097747]
Yes it is. Outside of boyne's permit AKA: when the summit closes

I believe that the summit's Forest Service special use permit for the nordic center allows them to exclude sleds (and skiers without a trail ticket) from the groomed trails during the nordic center's permit season.  As soon as the nordic center closes for the season a fair sized group of snowmobilers hit the Silver peak area -- usually by the time the road has melted out to Windy Pass the novelty of that has worn off or the two-stroke crowd has switched to dirt biking. 

Beyond regulations, I think most sledders are aware that razzing around in groomed track XC areas while skiiers are present and/or tearing up groomed tracks will be counter productive toward maintaining and expanding access to areas for snowmobiling.

While I personally dislike the sound that snow machines generate, I find that 95-98% of snow machine riders to be decent folks that deal with the skiiers they encounter in the mountains in a safe, respectful and helpful manner.  There are a small number of jerks that do stupid shit -- but isn't that true of any user group ?  An 86yo neighbor of mine is a snow machine rider and he has always treated skiiers with safety and respect -- but that hasn't stopped some jerky XC skiers from attempting to stab him with their ski poles as he passed them on an ungroomed logging road (Mt Margaret area)

author=Randy link=topic=21401.msg91607#msg91607 date=1310101994]
I believe that the summit's Forest Service special use permit for the nordic center allows them to exclude sleds (and skiers without a trail ticket) from the groomed trails during the nordic center's permit season.   As soon as the nordic center closes for the season a fair sized group of snowmobilers hit the Silver peak area -- usually by the time the road has melted out to Windy Pass the novelty of that has worn off or the two-stroke crowd has switched to dirt biking. 

Beyond regulations, I think most sledders are aware that razzing around in groomed track XC areas while skiiers are present and/or tearing up groomed tracks will be counter productive toward maintaining and expanding access to areas for snowmobiling.

While I personally dislike the sound that snow machines generate, I find that 95-98% of snow machine riders to be decent folks that deal with the skiiers they encounter in the mountains in a safe, respectful and helpful manner.   There are a small number of jerks that do stupid shit -- but isn't that true of any user group ?   An 86yo neighbor of mine is a snow machine rider and he has always treated skiiers with safety and respect -- but that hasn't stopped some jerky XC skiers from attempting to stab him with their ski poles as he passed them on an ungroomed logging road (Mt Margaret area)

I agree with you 100% (also on the sound of them, please note angry bees in my last trip to silver on 6/5 http://vimeo.com/25457825) I too also have been frowned upon heading over to Margaret, during the middle of winter.

Our group were all backcountry riders first, not snowmobilers, so we maintain the same goal that everyone does here. Snowmobiles just allow us to open up the doors even further with increased runs and being able to ski areas noones ever skied before. Every time we run into hikers or backcountry adventurists we try to treat them with the upmost respect, and that includes not chopping up the ski slope doing side-hills on the sled. Generally when we get up to silver, we setup the BBQ fortress base camp around 9-10am scout our lines up and down, and make them happen, I wont dink around on the sleds if there are other skiers in the area looking for a clean slope.

I know some people frown upon sleds and I can understand, but having my ski's strapped to the back of mine helps me gain a bit of respect. But never fear, I always bring extra brews and burgers and always offer them to backcountry adventurists so dont ever hesitate to come chat for a bit or stab me with a ski pole :)

author=airpoppoff link=topic=21401.msg91617#msg91617 date=1310123502]
Our group were all backcountry riders first, not snowmobilers, so we maintain the same goal that everyone does here. Snowmobiles just allow us to open up the doors even further with increased runs and being able to ski areas noones ever skied before. Every time we run into hikers or backcountry adventurists we try to treat them with the upmost respect, and that includes not chopping up the ski slope doing side-hills on the sled. Generally when we get up to silver, we setup the BBQ fortress base camp around 9-10am scout our lines up and down, and make them happen, I wont dink around on the sleds if there are other skiers in the area looking for a clean slope.

I know some people frown upon sleds and I can understand, but having my ski's strapped to the back of mine helps me gain a bit of respect. But never fear, I always bring extra brews and burgers and always offer them to backcountry adventurists so dont ever hesitate to come chat for a bit or stab me with a ski pole :)

Wow, I never knew such hospitality still existed!  People offering burgers and brews to perhaps unknown strangers, assuming I'm understanding this post correctly.  From many of the trip reports I've read on this site, it seems like the PNW should be known more for it's hospitality than the south.  I'm also struck with the fact it's July, and people are debating over the use of snowmobiles.  We are lucky to have snow past Febuary/March, when ever we get any, in the Appalachian Mountains of NC or Virginia. 

author=Donski link=topic=21401.msg91618#msg91618 date=1310126457]
Wow, I never knew such hospitality still existed!  People offering burgers and brews to perhaps unknown strangers, assuming I'm understanding this post correctly.   

This is typical sledder behavior. The more I ride and encounter sledders, the more I realize they are some of the best people around...

Here is one of our winter BBQ's! http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTobyvid?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/YYRc6tGov1o

I don't think that anyone will make the argument that they really ENJOY the sound of a snowmobile.  They are annoying as holy hell. 
Turbo four strokes are making headway though, so hopefully soon I can listen to a nice whoooossshhhhh sound, instead of the angry bees.

To me sleds are a great tool to get somewhere far away quickly.  Without a sled places like Gallagher are just simply not a viable option mid winter.  Another great example here is New Years Eve this last year.  The ski areas were pure ice as were most of the low lying areas on the I-90 corridor.  Matt and I had a new years eve party to attend in Monroe.  We met up at dawn and went a few miles out near the radio tower area from Gold Creek.  We got a few ski laps in and one great pillow line zone all before noon.  We were back at the cars and Matt was running home to pick up his fiancee by 2pm. 

You can argue that snowmobiles are obnoxiously loud and not environmentally friendly, but you can't argue that they're great for accessing areas that touring alone won't get you to.  When I want to avoid that noise and just take a relaxing tour I go to a wilderness area (being a lazy snowmobiler that usually just paradise :P)

Silas glad to hear that I wasn't imagining the washboard had become terrible.  I hear you on that snow patch, it should melt out shortly though.  No more sleds up that road for me, I can't afford the $400 and a $600 track just to skip out on hiking half a mile ;)

author=Donski link=topic=21401.msg91618#msg91618 date=1310126457]
I'm also struck with the fact it's July, and people are debating over the use of snowmobiles. 

Honestly, its really the only reason we did it, we knew with the snow depth with what it was in June, it would be no problem to make it to July, granted the snow had melted more than 10-15 feet in 30 days, it still happened!

author=TobyT link=topic=21401.msg91624#msg91624 date=1310135930]
This is typical sledder behavior. The more I ride and encounter sledders, the more I realize they are some of the best people around...

Here is one of our winter BBQ's! http://www.youtube.com/user/TheTobyvid?feature=mhee#p/a/u/0/YYRc6tGov1o

Thats what I'm talkin about!

author=airpoppoff link=topic=21401.msg91581#msg91581 date=1310077355]

;D

author=tomd link=topic=21401.msg91577#msg91577 date=1310074954]
Dear Sirs ,

I checked in at the NB ranger station last week and the ranger said there was no closure orders in effect in the pass area.

Reply to this TR

july-5-2011-silver
ND
2011-07-06 22:04:33