Home > Trip Reports > July 3-4, 2011, Mt Rainier, Pt Succss to Wilson HW

July 3-4, 2011, Mt Rainier, Pt Succss to Wilson HW

7/3/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by esvege on 7/6/11 11:34am
Met up with Bird to ski a couple of routes on the south side of Rainier heading in with overnight gear the evening of the 3rd.  When registering for the climb we told the ranger our intentions of skiing the Wilson HW and the Kautz HW.  He said no way...two others just registered to climb and ski the Kautz HW, very rare to have someone want to ski that route.  (Dan and Sky only two?) 
Next morning we climbed up the Fuhrer Finger to get a better look at our ski, would have rather climbed the Kautz as we had to zig zag up the Nisqually to avoid the cracks and didn't want to subject ourselves to the hazards of the Wilson HW for too long.
We skied off skiers right of Point Success and had great conditions as the wind was depositing on that aspect.  A quick traverse and we were on the ridge towards the Wilson HW.  After poking around in the rocks we found the entrance and carefully made our way done.  The snow had softened in the morning sun and the turns were great.  The ski under the Kautz ice cliff was spooky, making the traverse quickly as possible.  There were some shark fins as shown in the photo, but only for a short section then the remainder of the route was smooth.  Shrunds at the bottom were tricky but there were a couple of bridges to slide.
Bird and I felt good about the ski and we decided to head out and not stay another day.
Few more photos.  Bird is without helmet, lost on the climb up Nisqually...

author=esvege link=topic=21400.msg91543#msg91543 date=1310006069]
When registering for the climb we told the ranger our intentions of skiing the Wilson HW and the Kautz HW.  He said no way...two others just registered to climb and ski the Kautz HW, very rare to have someone want to ski that route. 

That was us! But it looks like you milked the better aspect for some nicer snow with the Wilson HW. Nice choice; way to time it.

You know, I think we can safely blame Sky for the relative interest in that line. When I first began ski touring (a short 18 months ago), I happened upon Sky's trip report from his Kautz Headwall ski in 2006, wherein he says:

"The Kautz Headwall still strikes me as one of my most memorable, pleasant and exhilirating experiences on skis."

While this seemed an awfully lofty opinion of any objective (personally, I find it hard to pick favorites even among my few tours, so I was struck by this statement especially considering Dr. Kilo's considerable experience with steep skiing in the Cascades and beyond), I felt it was the ultimate complement in the context of his notoriously impeccable taste in objectives.  In addition, the line is strikingly aesthetic from a visual standpoint on a clear day, something I couldn't help but continuously notice on my way up to Paradise and the Van Trump area to ski other half-day objectives. Moreover, the more I considered the line, I considered its excellent qualities-- this year, it seemed especially fat; its uppermost slopes were south-facing, guaranteed to soften given the right combination of sun and timing, etc; visually it's appealing in much the same way that featured runs in Utah and the Rockies are.

The clincher for me in terms of piquing my interest was long-time ranger, Mike Gauthier's, description of the route as "a nice alternative to the relative crowds of other routes," in his indispensable Rainier guide.

I very much wanted to ski this line this year, but I also feel that it will be nice and fat some other time in my life, and I'm in no rush... Some things are better when flowed into than forced.

It seems though that this could be both an excellent climb and an excellent ski, and I really think there's something pure about climbing the line you're about to shred ;)

Man the snowpack looks phat up there. Strong work guys!

way to go Eric, especially for appreciating the moment. You've had a hell of a season. Looking forward to skiing with you at some point...

What a fun line! Nice work you guys.  Props to Bird. I'd be terrified in there without a helmet!

I agree with Ryan. You've had an awesome, well earned year Eric. Done yet?

author=alecapone link=topic=21400.msg91633#msg91633 date=1310143267]
I agree with Ryan. You've had an awesome, well earned year Eric. Done yet?
Thanks all was a fun ski and great season so far!  Would like to get on the west routes of Rainier if the weather allows within the next couple of weeks.  Anyone interested??

It would be fun to ski with you on one of your adventures, but me being on the east coast at the moment, I don't think embarking on any ski outings is a viable option for me at the moment.  Keep up the great work!!

Reply to this TR

july-3-4-2011-mt-rainier-pt-succss-to-wilson-hw
esvege
2011-07-06 18:34:29