Home > Trip Reports > July 4, 2011, St. Elmos Pass

July 4, 2011, St. Elmos Pass

7/4/11
Posted by Rich_B on 7/5/11 11:44am
How do you turn an area known for quick verts into a long tour?  It could be Kenji was not feeling good or he had the right tool for the trip, tele skis with a base-pattern.  Four of us got a "Zap-approved" 10am start, with Kenji setting a fast kick and glide pace.  Sally, Dave and I struggled to keep up with our skinned skis.

After lunch on 3rd Burroughs, we skied into Glacier Basin, then climbed to St. Elmos Pass.

After a break, we started back on wonderful corn snow and made the long climb back to 3rd Burroughs.

Three tired skiers struggled to keep up with Kenji as he glided back to Sunrise.  Luckily we have long days and did not need headlamps, unlike many of Kenji's trips.
Sounds like a great loop Rich. 

FYI, I tried to fix your images but you're not using the image URL that ends in .JPG from your host.  The other problem is that you're using the thumbnail feature, which still needs to be fixed.  If you can find that .JPG address for the images, just post them with the IMG tag next to the thumbnail button.  Sorry for the hassle!

I detect slight exaggeration in my kick&glide performance as I was just keeping up with them for change.  The original goal of reaching the Curtis Ridge was a little too ambitious, by about 3 hours.  Nonetheless, it was a beautiful tour as usual.  Glad they had some good skiing while the snow was a bit too bumpy for my soft fish-scale skis.

Reply to this TR

july-4-2011-st-elmos-pass
Rich_B
2011-07-05 18:44:54