Home > Trip Reports > December 30, 2004, Silver Star (attempt!)

December 30, 2004, Silver Star (attempt!)

12/30/04
WA Cascades East Slopes North
Posted by ema on 1/2/05 10:13pm

hwy 20 is plowed on the east side to silver star creek, which is where we found ourselves together with a slew of snowmobiled skiers heading up to wa pass.

we very secretly wished to be offered a tow, but since none was forthcoming, i comforted myself with thoughts such as 'aw, we're earning our turns, not polluting the environment with noxious fumes, yeah, we'll break our own trail, and have fun on the lower slopes of silver star; and this crust i'm seeing is really thick, should support us fine...those thick trees i remember, never mind, i'm a better skier now...'.

the comfort didn't last long. when it comes to trail-breaking, i'm firmly in ron j's camp. but nonetheless we push ahead to the swamp, where we end up crossing the meandering creek half a million times - there was no creek here 2 springs ago!! - and finally break out in the open at the bottom of the slope we were hoping to ski...to be greeted by an inpenetrable swath of alder. there was no alder 2 springs ago! where has it come from ?? well folks, do yourselves a favor and do not try silver star before the snow is at least 6 feet deep!

humbled, we turn around, hoping at least for some good turns in the glades we passed...but, remember the crust ? well, it got progressively thinner the higher up we got, and while i was able to milk a few satisfying turns, my friend kept breaking thru the crust...

and then we're back into the thick trees, with slim coverage, with branches waiting to snag up and more treacherous crust, which we valiantly endure - i did embrace my inner tree-hugger a few times, truth be told - and emerge battle-scarred back at the road in late afternoon.

at which point, we congratulate each other upon another fine backcountry ski day: out with a good friend. the beauty of the silent snow covered forest. not another soul in sight the whole day. ghostly views of silver star thru the fog. stable conditions (to be expected when coverage is about 2 feet i guess). no gashes in the skis or clothing. no torn or scratched limbs.
Ahh, another convert.  ;)
Sounds like you're really developing a knack for finding secuded ski destinations, too, Ema.  I might need some lessons in that area.

...but, remember the crust ? well, it got progressively thinner the higher up we got, and while i was able to milk a few satisfying turns, my friend kept breaking thru the crust...

Great TR Ema, thanks for the smiles.  Ron and I can tell you a few stories about breakable crust and which of us is able to milk a few turns while the other is not so fortunate  :D

Reply to this TR

december-30-2004-silver-star-attempt
ema
2005-01-03 06:13:59