Home > Trip Reports > June 30, 2011, Mt. Lassen

June 30, 2011, Mt. Lassen

6/30/11
US elsewhere
Posted by telemack on 7/4/11 4:03am
    After sneak-camping in the lot at the end of the plowing by Helen Lake, I was packing and ceffeinating when a guy pulled up and unloaded some skis.  After a bit of chatting Sid and I joined forces for a summit tour.  Starting at 8000', we walked the road for less than 1/4 mile, skirted the lake, and picked up the summer trail that was mostly snow but had been improved with shovels.  We booted the whole way, staying on snow most of the time and following the trail.  It was odd being the only ones on top, with lots of snow and the NPS displays cemented in place.  From the summit blocks the NE face looked really good, with a wet slide taking center stage right from the top. 
     At 11:30 we rode the Southeast Face on perfect 2" penetration, cut right following some old traverse tracks, crossed the trail, and found good slopes back to the Lake and the road. 
     It was fun to run into another skier, and we had a good round of trail mix and turns.  Lassen must be one of the easiest volcanoes to ski and access.  We only had 2500' from car to top. 
Still should be lots of snow there, even after the highway is fully plowed.  They are plowing through 25-30' depths.
     I drove to Shasta, psyched for 3 tours in a row into July, but my back went funny while putting skins on so I ended up hiking Black Butte as a consolation prize.
Great to hear that you were able to ski Lassen.  ;)

Sounds like a good time in a beautiful setting!

Reply to this TR

june-30-2011-mt-lassen
telemack
2011-07-04 11:03:11