Home > Trip Reports > another Sunrise post

another Sunrise post

7/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jackal on 7/3/11 5:32am
Not adding to Lowell's thread to not murk up that discussion. Yes a great day for Sunrise sunshine glory! Lots of people in the parking lot but skiers, snowshoers and hikers spread out in all directions so plenty of room for all. We headed out to Burroughs 3 for the views then came back via the bowl between B3 & B2 (does it have a name?) and Berkeley Park. Great snow on north slopes.
We headed out to Burroughs 3 for the views then came back via the bowl between B3 & B2 (does it have a name?) 

We call it Burroughs 2 1/2, a small pocket glacier that hangs in there. The route you did is my favorite.

That was good fun - much better frankly than I was expecting as I succumbed to "volcano slog stupor" on the fairly and depressingly horizontal slog across the tops of 1 and 2 on our way out. There was definitely a point where I was regretting not having pushed to play on the slopes much closer to the parking lot.

Yes, views were awesome the whole way to be sure, but returning the way we'd come would not have yielded much in the way of interesting turns. I'm glad we opted for a more zig-zaggy return which traded slogging-the-flats for a few sweet descents, a bit of downhill traversing, and respectable skin climbs from the base of our descents.

By the end of this tour, and I do mean "tour," I had no regrets about our choice for the day. Next time, though, I need to try to catch the "chutefest" spirit!

Reply to this TR

another-sunrise-post
jackal
2011-07-03 12:32:39