Home > Trip Reports > July 2, Interglacier

July 2, Interglacier

7/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by shaman on 7/3/11 4:59am
Gorgeous day out there.  There is continuous snow well below Glacier Creek Camp (except for 2 wooden bridges.)  Started hiking around 8 and reached Steamboat Prow around 1.  There was barely a breeze up top so I found a nice spot to lay down and soak up the sunshine and views.  Started my decent around 1:30.  The snow was soft and smooth for most of the way down to the basin.  Near the bottom the suncups and runnels are starting to take over, but the corn snow was soft enough to plow through it.

I saw four bear on the walk out.  Three large black bear a couple hundred feet off the trail and one small brown bear that I damn near ran into.  I came around a corner and it was standing on the trail devouring the vegetation.  It was not aggressive and barely seemed to notice me.  I kept my distance and had to wait for ten minutes or so before it decided to mosey off the trail enough so I could scoot on by.
Looks like fun.  Nice shot of the Sparks and Mr. Chomps too!

author=stoudema link=topic=21358.msg91394#msg91394 date=1309749826]
Looks like fun.  Nice shot of the Sparks and Mr. Chomps too!

Was thinking the same thing.

Was up there a few weeks ago and we saw 3 small-ish bears on the drive out. One just as we were leaving the parking lot, one about a mile later and then another about mile after that.

Reply to this TR

july-2-interglacier
shaman
2011-07-03 11:59:05