Home > Trip Reports > July 2, Adams Sw chutes

July 2, Adams Sw chutes

7/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by andyski on 7/2/11 2:18pm
Road is open to a little after Morrison Creek if you're brave. The skiing was amazing. Perfect corn all the way to a little over 8k at 2 pm-ish.
So did you hike the road up to Cold Springs or bust a move through the trees as a direct approach?

Walked the road. It didn't suck that bad thanks to tennis shoes. We talked to a pair who went directly down the creek drainage from the chutes, and they said route finding was difficult, but they were able to stay on skis just below 5k. They also didn't beat us to the car by much.

7/4/11. It was nice up there today. Thanks for the advice to take tennies

We fasley believed the Forest Service's automatic message saying FR 23 was open.  As of 7/3  9:00pm around mp 30, it is snowbound and didn't look to be opening anytime soon. 

Who are you going to trust? TAY or the Forest Service?

What's the story on the round the mountain trail from the outlet of the Chutes back to the south climg trail?  Skinnable still?

Anybody know the elevation at or near where the s.w. chutes route/"trail" touches the round- the- mountain trail?

How about vertical drop from start of chutes?...I was guessing 4k'...

I did the SW chutes as a day trip on the 2nd as well, and it sounds like we were not far behind the andyski party.  On the way down we skiid to within 3/4 mile of Morrison Creek CG by staying in the Morrison Creek drainage to the W of the road to Cold Springs.  From the bottom of SW chutes, we stayed high in a descending traverse, at the round-the-mountain trail elevation until almost Cold Springs, then headed down.  We walked across 1-50' patch of rock in the traverse but otherwise ski traversed the whole way.

If I was going again this wknd-I'd drive as far as I could, then immediately leave the road and head NW into the Morrison creek drainage.  I'd keep a climbing traverse to the NW to have a return route in my GPS, then take a giant switchback back to the NE to attain the lunch counter.

SW chutes themselves were in fabulous condition.  Peering down that 3000' of perfect corn at the perfect gradient from the false summit....the definition of anticipation

That run never fails to be four stars!!

That is a good idea going in with the gps to make the "get-out" route!

Reply to this TR

july-2-adams-sw-chutes
andyski
2011-07-02 21:18:05