Home > Trip Reports > July 1, 2011, Sunrise--Come on people!

July 1, 2011, Sunrise--Come on people!

7/1/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by artfreeman on 7/1/11 12:00pm
Almost no skiers were up at Sunrise on opening day today.  Come on people!  Doesn't anyone skip work to ski on a beautiful day anymore?  Sure, there were some sun cups and runnels on the lower parts, and the snow became sticky in the sun, but it was overall a fabulous day.  Ran into Doug D (who is probably lurking out there somewhere) and we hit 3rd Burroughs together and then had an excellent run on the N side of 2nd Burroughs.  Doug headed back, saving his energy for more skiing tomorrow.  I headed up to the ridge N of Frozen Lake (2 min. on dirt) and up toward Pt 7317.  It was surprising how bare some of the ridge tops and S slopes are.  E.g. to get to Fremont Lookout would involve a lot of dirt hiking.  From the ridge I enjoyed almost 1000' of nice smooth slopes N into the basin between Mt Fremont and 7317.  In the parking lot I had met a helpful guy who was heading over that way on his tour and so I was able to follow his tracks back around and over the 2 ridges to the lodge.  The hike up the final ridge is fairly steep.  Thanks for the nice steps, and I apologize to others for blowing a few of them out--they got pretty soft.  Forgot my camera which was a drag.  Saw a bear on the road.
I would have loved to but that one will have to wait until Monday. How did the north face of Fremont look?

Definitely snow covered, and as I recall the remains of cornices made the top prety steep. 

I thought it was mountain bike season.... oops, better clean the pollen off the skis and get after it.

sounds like fun, you broken 80 days yet?

Hit Dege with a good crew on Saturday.
More bikers then skiers up there.

Reply to this TR

july-1-2011-sunrise-come-on-people
artfreeman
2011-07-01 19:00:16