Home > Trip Reports > January 2, 2005, Silver Basin-Crystal Lakes

January 2, 2005, Silver Basin-Crystal Lakes

1/2/05
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ericd on 1/2/05 6:38am
We headed up to Crystal today after hearing about 5 inches of new snow they received Friday night.  We found 8-10" of nice dry powder.  We took the $5 ride up the Quicksilver Chair and then skinned up a nice track to the top of Silver Basin, just north of Three Way Peak.  The run back down Silver Basin was great, a little thick at the top (wind affected), but it really lightened up after a couple hundred feet.  

Then we skinned back up and took a run off the back side down past Crystal Lakes (to the west).  This is where we found the best snow.  The bottom 500' in the glades had irrestible cold fluffy snow glistening in the sun that came out for a few minutes just for this run - absolutely no crust.  We climbed back up to the ridge and took our last run down through Silver Basin, again fluffy fun after the first 200 feet.  

It was cold all day with minimal wind and fleeting sun.  Coverage was great.  I hit a bush or two heading down the south side.  I bet there will be great conditions back in Crystal Lakes Basin (and elsewhere around Crystal Mountain) for a couple days as long as it stays cold.  Too bad I have to go back to work tomorrow.  
Might be heading to that area this weekend.  Where/how do we purchase the $5 quicksilver lift?   We attempted once 2 seasons ago and failed.  So, we had to just hike up under the lift which wasn't so much fun.  Would gladly pay the $5 to not have to hike up a ski run.

Thanks.

When I've done this in past years -- you could buy it at the ticket booth -- but you had get checked-out by the ski-patrol first.  So you might want to start by visiting the ski-patrol room.   As I recall it's accessed from the ground level on the west side of the main lodge.

You have to go to "Guest Services" just left of the ticket booths to get the $5 ticket.  They'll give you a ticket to hand to the Quicksilver lift operator after making sure you have transeivers, shovel, etc.  They may ask you to check in with the ski patrol.  They didn't ask us to on Sunday, though.  I think it depends on whether or not they are doing avy control work in the in-bounds backcountry areas.  Have fun.  Might see you down there depending on where the snow falls.

Thanks for the report, its good to know they went back to the one way ticket.
 Checking in with the ski patrol is always a good idea no matter which direction (at All ski areas ) you head into backcountry. Local knowledge rules, Ive even had patrollers give me direction to the goods!

Reply to this TR

january-2-2005-silver-basin-crystal-lakes
ericd
2005-01-02 14:38:56