Home > Trip Reports > June 30, 2011, Mt Shasta, Avy Gulch + HW + Sun Bowl

June 30, 2011, Mt Shasta, Avy Gulch + HW + Sun Bowl

6/30/11
US elsewhere
Posted by Jeff Huber on 6/30/11 2:16pm
If you€™re looking for a ski destination for the holiday weekend I highly recommend Shasta. Shasta is in great shape right now with a smooth upper mountain and lots of snow. I€™ve skied from the summit 6 times and today was the best conditions I€™ve had with smooth skiing off the pinnacle, plateau, mostly smooth skiing down Misery Hill, and then amazingly perfect smooth hero corn from the base of Misery Hill to Lake Helen.   

Jonathan was able to skin from Bunnny Flat the entire way to the summit except for a small portion near the top of the summit pinnacle while I ended up cramponing most of the route. On the summit Jonathan descended the first 2000€™ of Hotlum-Wintun (his preferred way to access Hotlum-Wintun is by first summiting via a different route) then climbed back to the summit to ski down Avy Gulch. I skied from the summit to Helen then skinned back up to the bench looker€™s left above Helen. To finish the day we traversed Green Butte ridge from lower Avy Gulch (at ~8100€™)  then skinned to the top of Sun Bowl (smooth skiing on the steeps of sun bowl), and then traversed back over suncups to Bunny Flat. Total vertical 10,356€™ for Jonathan with my estimated vertical a little over 9k (need to download my GPS track to get final stats).

A smooth avy gulch from Helen Lake:

Jonathan and his TLT5s:

Beautiful!

Congrats on the hero corn.

;D

AMAZING! I cant believe how much snow is down there still! I made the trip the 2nd week of May and it still looks the same.
I'm ready to go back!!!

author=Jeff Huber link=topic=21335.msg91305#msg91305 date=1309497419]Jonathan was able to skin from Bunnny Flat the entire way to the summit except for a small portion near the top of the summit pinnacle while I ended up cramponing most of the route.

And excluding the rather substantial portion from about 1k above Helen to Red Banks!
(Still can't believe I even skinned that portion once...)

Some additional pictures here:
http://timefortuckerman.com/forums/showpost.php?p=152866&postcount=4

Man that looks good!
Thanks for the recap.

Reply to this TR

june-30-2011-mt-shasta-avy-gulch-hw-sun-bowl
Jeff Huber
2011-06-30 21:16:59