Home > Trip Reports > June 26, 2011, Camp Muir

June 26, 2011, Camp Muir

6/26/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by Chuck C on 6/29/11 7:59am
First off, no pics from me as I lost the arm wrestling match with my daughter for the camera.  Maybe one of the rest of the group can post some.

Left the main lot around 9:30am with a large contingent of the Chuck army including some new conscripts.  Most of the crew skinned up Pan Face no problem (to me at least).  The rest booted and met at the top.  Huge glissade rut right now so watch out for downhill traffic.  Continued on up on really nice skinning snow.  Got to camp by 2:30pm.  Made coffee and lounged a bit.  Ripped hide sometime between 3 and 3:30pm and headed down on, once again, great snow.  Good turns galore until a little below 8000ish where it got grabby for a bit.  Part of the group skied over the top of Sugarloaf while the other went skier's right and we regrouped down below it.  Crossed the rock band running towards Pan Point and got below McClure Rock.  Followed some of ronj's excellent routes down the benches to Golden Gate then down to the road.  This whole stretch had good snow conditions and there were few other tracks in that area.  Hoofed back up to the lot, retrieved the truck and we killed off two growlers.

More climbers than skiers this trip.  Penitentes forming just below camp but otherwise conditions were great.

Thanks to the crew for the impromtu birthday celebration at the top, especially the baked goods Linda carried all the way up.

Reply to this TR

june-26-2011-camp-muir
Chuck C
2011-06-29 14:59:59