Home > Trip Reports > June 28, Mt Hood, Meadows - Heather / Permit Area

June 28, Mt Hood, Meadows - Heather / Permit Area

6/15/11
OR Mt Hood
Posted by Hawthorne on 6/29/11 3:15am
Left the locked Meadows parking lot gate just before 6am. Walked up under the old Red Chair and gained Vista - White-River East ridge, then hiked the crest until clouds turned me around at the confluence of the Clark & White River East drainages.  

Put skins on before I left the truck, but ended up leather-booting all the way up.  Snow down low had a very walkable crust, and the ridge is exposed all the way up.  Never been that high on the east side.  Nice view right down the Cascade crest.  

Started down the Heather Drainage - Superbowl was awesome.  Then climbed back out to top of express and down 2-Bowl / Blue Face.  Snow within the permit area was dirty, but as long as I loaded the tails, it was very nice.  Ran out to the lodge patio.  

White river was very tempting, but the climb back out on sharp steep sidewalls was a turn-off.

Should be good a week or two more.

Meadows is replacing the old Yellow - Stadium chair with a quad that will carry from the base area to the Heather / Star side, which will help congestion at MHX.  They have the old towers, wheels, and drive laid out in the parking lot.  Pretty interesting.

32 Months - Cheers.

Reply to this TR

june-28-mt-hood-meadows-heather-permit-area
Hawthorne
2011-06-29 10:15:11