Home > Trip Reports > June 26, 2011, Mt. Baker via Grouse Creek

June 26, 2011, Mt. Baker via Grouse Creek

6/26/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by cumulus on 6/28/11 8:08am
I thought there'd be a report by now... seems like there were enough people. If not from our group, than at least from any of the other over 2 dozen parked cars.  bunch a slackers...  (or maybe just foot soldiers...)

It deserves mention that the road is open to the trailhead. You can pretty much do a car to car ski of Mt. Baker from heliotrope if you skip the trail and go right up the Grouse Creek avi debris. Works out real nice. At least for now.

Sunday gratefully lived up to it's name, and the snowpack was firm, making for quick travel (ski crampons helpful).  We left the trailhead shortly before 7am.  I'm sure people were already on the summit.  Ah, the luxury of skis...   Lots of rope teams coming down.

up past Colfax (looks like it could be fun, hunh?)

I tried to skin the whole thing, but then called my folly at the Roman Wall. Some other day... Trevor and Zack led, summiting around 2pm.  Here's the whole troop:

(thanks to Julia from Phinney Ridge for taking the pic!) Jeff, Zack, Stefan, Trevor, Rob

Too much oxygen and too much sitting on the summit led to a spirited rendition of volcano diving. Here's Zack showing how:

Disappeared right into the volcano.  Just like that.  For quite a while too.  I can't say I completely grasp the logistics... beyond that it requires a truckload of faith and that it's some sort of a healing thing. Or maybe just an attempt to stay warm. You'll have to ask Zack about specifics.

For the record I tried too - - unsuccessfully.  I was repelled.  Just a mere handstand.  Faith does not come easy.

Started skiing down around 3:30.  Roman Wall had softened up and skied nicely.  Saw some people coming down earlier muttering about waiting another hour (or two).  Down around Colfax was silky smooth perfection and then onwards downwards more mushy but all fun.

rode past these tracks reflecting the sky off heliotrope on the way down

made a few of our own - Rob

skiing down towards Grouse Creek

and back down the avi debris to the trailhead

6,000' plus run - fun, fun!

Nice report and congratulations on your ski.  I chatted with Trevor in the parking lot as you guys headed out.  I took my stepson out on Heliotrope for his first day out on Rando gear after a successful deprogramming from splitboarding.  (Your photo captured our three runs on the Deming side.)  With the recent snowfall and the cold temps the night before I have to say it was some of the best corn skiing I have ever seen on Baker.  It was a near religious experience!  Plus the avy exit is brilliant, eh!

Hope you don't mind the pictures from Heliocorntasia.....:)

Gregg

After re-emerging from the dark bowels of the volcano things just are not the same. I may have to go back to make things right again.

thanks Gregg - like yr stylin' shirt, fit the day well!  Gotta grab religion when you can. And judging by the tracks, looks like a successful deprogramming...

author=Gregg_C link=topic=21311.msg91199#msg91199 date=1309308361]
Hope you don't mind the pictures from Heliocorntasia.....:)

not at all

Such a good day - super casual start at 7:30 but hey, you need a truckload of faith to get by, and sure enough, we still soc'd for an hour on the summit (thanks to Dave B's girls for the PBR) before heading down a now empty Roman Wall and Coleman G at 4:30 and finding it -- perfect!

Reply to this TR

june-26-2011-mt-baker-via-grouse-creek
cumulus
2011-06-28 15:08:52