Home > Trip Reports > 26 Jun 2011, Mt Rainier, Ptarmigan Ridge

26 Jun 2011, Mt Rainier, Ptarmigan Ridge

6/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by hedonaut on 6/28/11 7:19am
Dan Helmstadter, Pete Hirst and I teamed up to climb Ptarmigan Ridge, skeptical but hopeful the left-hand variation would go as a ski. After we got a closer look, we decided to forge a "skier's route", up a perhaps-new route variation that traverses left before the traditional fork in the route, gaining the Liberty Cap Glacier above its ice cliff, and then merging with the Ptarmigan Ice Cliff route.  Skiers like it easy.

Here's what the mountain looked like as we neared our bivy (after a strenuous approach from the gated park entry):

And here are a couple pics from our climb and ski:

Pete high on the route, above an icy section; Carbon Gl visible below:

The final ski down to the N Mowich Glacier:

Very pleased it came together, been wanting to climb and ski this for some time now--and got a demanding and rewarding trip with solid partners.

Sorry for the paucity of ski pics; we were intent on getting down expediently.  I posted more pics here:
http://skisickness.com/post/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=252
Awesome -- that second pic is something else.  Bottomless crack covered by a broken slab?  Funky stuff, thanks for posting it.

Oh wow!  Awesome stuff, Eric, Pete, and Dan.  Looks scary.  Glad you guys scored a long-sought prize on the Big Tahoma.  And great that you didn't need to implement "Plan B" or "Plan F" (Dan knows what those are ;D ).

Surely one of the season's most notable descents in the contiguous US. Bravo, gents!

Nicely done Eric and crew....wow!!!!

Holy smokes, well done guys!!

That's a beautiful ski line.  I've daydreamed abouy making turns down the tongue of the Liberty Ice Cap Glacier (but, of course, lack the skill and determination).  Good job!

Outstanding!  Make sure you let Lowell know for history's sake as i agree with Drew, it's one of the more notable ski descents of the season...super congrads you three...way to nail the conditions and weather.

Bravo gents.  Very inspiring!

Beautiful!! Awesome ski guys

Massive - diddo on Drew and Roj's comments - impressive, memorable, historical!  You guys rock!

author=Roger Strong link=topic=21310.msg91223#msg91223 date=1309327337]
Make sure you let Lowell know for history's sake as i agree with Drew, it's one of the more notable ski descents of the season...

Not to worry...I got it!

speechless .. in awe .. outstanding accomplishment .. beautiful pix too

nice one y'all!

I always enjoy your visual documentations too Eric - good eye.

Stunning gentlemen & congratulations!  Your skill, strength, & will are impressive.  Not that we didn’t know that already!

Wild line.That traverse looks scary.Photos I'm sure don't even do justice on the steepness.

Wow! That's some pro level stuff right there. Impressive.

Impressive, congrats!

You guys sure do piss me off

Reply to this TR

26-jun-2011-mt-rainier-ptarmigan-ridge
hedonaut
2011-06-28 14:19:25