Home > Forum > Hip flexor soreness from breaking trail?

Hip flexor soreness from breaking trail?

• Larry_R
  • [Larry_R]
More
02 Jan 2005 07:25 - 03 Apr 2007 05:33 #170444 by Larry_R
apologies

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
02 Jan 2005 12:21 #170452 by bcskibdy
Replied by bcskibdy on topic Re: Hip flexor soreness from breaking trail?
What a coincidence. I was just reading about snowshoe stretch--same muscles--on my friend Courtney Schurman's website. Bodyresults.com They're climbers and trainers and do sport-specific training setups. Here's the stretches she recommends.<br><br>I've gotten the same thing from breaking trail on both shoes and skis. I think it hurts because we don't lift when we walk, so it doesn't get worked. We also lean forward, which --seems to me-- reduces support from the abs.<br><br>www.bodyresults.com/E2hipstretches2.asp

bill

• Jeff Huber
  • [Gaper_Jeffey]
More
02 Jan 2005 13:44 - 02 Jan 2005 13:49 #170455 by Jeff Huber
Replied by Jeff Huber on topic Re: Hip flexor soreness from breaking trail?
Hip flexor strains from skinning seem extremely common. I've personally strained my hip flexors from skinning several times and I here about others doing so all the time. Last year after one early spring trip my hip got really bad so I did something novel: I saw my Dr and went into physical therapy. Therapy consisted of augmented soft tissue massage (the PT called it graston therapy), stretching, strengthening, electrical stimulation and ultrasound. It worked great.<br><br>I found a certain adult activity that is performed (hopefully) with your significant other, and done especially vigorously when you're young, makes the injury much worse (I'm being completely serious). In addition to being careful with this:<br>1) See a Dr<br>2) Get lighter skis<br>3) Get your partners to break trail<br>4) Wear compressions shorts<br><br>As to the cause of the injury, I don't think it's a strained TFL as I have a strained TFL right now (it's a long story that has little to do with skinning) and it's much further to the outside then when I had trouble with my hip flexor (the pain then was in the front of the hip and hurt when lifting my leg).<br><br>After writing the above, I'd encourage those injured to see a Dr rather then take advice over the Internet (don't want to miss any powder days!).<br><br>Gaper Jeffey<br>who has been injured more times this past year then he wishes to admit<br>