Home > Trip Reports > June 26-27 Little T

June 26-27 Little T

6/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by artfreeman on 6/28/11 6:34am
See 6/26 report below on Fryingpan for good info.  I'll just add a little bit from our trip Sun, Mon.  A Mountaineers Basic climb of Little Tahoma.  On Sunday evening, after setting up camp up on Meany Crest (no running water found)  I skinned most of the way up the Fryingpan and even late in the day the corn was excellent and the surface very smooth due to the new snow about a week ago.  Annoying runnels below Meany Crest.  Hosed ourselves on Monday by going in marginal weather.  Made to to about 300' from the top but turned back due to very strong winds and blowing snow (no significant accumulation) with poor viz.  Still had a good run down the Whitman which was also pretty smooth and crevasse free.  People had skied from even higher the day before--must have been nice.  Next time.  There was so much tree detritus on the trail that I ended up walking about half way out the lower part.  No pollen or bugs.
We were up on Little T the 25th-26th; since others have already described conditions well, I'll just add that the summit was in good condition; we were almost completely on snow until the last 20 vertical feet or so.  We saw a couple of guys scramble the summit in socks; another party of 4 did the whole trip in trail running shoes/light hikers.  Ski boots made the last bit more sporting.  :)

Pictures and more words on my long-neglected blog: http://susanrashlock.blogspot.com/

Reply to this TR

june-26-27-little-t
artfreeman
2011-06-28 13:34:17