Home > Trip Reports > Jun26 Colchuck Cornfest - my daughter kicks my @ss

Jun26 Colchuck Cornfest - my daughter kicks my @ss

6/15/11
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by oldfartskierdad on 6/28/11 3:57am
Texting - the only way I seem to be able to talk to my daughter these days.  Her message hit my phone Saturday evening - short and sweet - "we're gong to ski Colchuck tomorrow - weather looks fantastic - be there or be old!"  Damnit, the glove had been thrown - I ain't that old yet...;D

My son backs out due to late night partying on a sailboat somewhere - too bad for him. It would just be Katy and myself for this little adventure in search of corn snow.  Bad for me though as she suffers no foolishness on the trail and would likely max out my old legs a bit.

Trail is dry as a bone to the lake and halfway around - then a bit of dirty snow chomping to get to the base of the slope below Dragontail / Colchuck.  We stayed in tennies all the way up the gravel moraine which allowed for quick movement and gain of elevation.  Beyond that, we kicked steps up the glacier to the col amongst stunning scenery and rapidly softening snow - I had a good feeling that we were timing things just about right.  I was certainly hurting a bit after a hard bike ride on Saturday - Katy was being "nice" to me saying things like "geez, for an old man, you're going pretty good" and "let me know if you're having heart palpitations or anything like that"  She with her newly minted Nursing Degree from the U - I was in good hands!

Lunch at the col and time to hit it - she on her board and me on the  AT.  First turn confirmed that we were about to be sent to corn heaven - 2 inches of perfect softness on top of the firm.  The vertical fell away with one smooth arc after another - all the way back to the top of the slope above the lake underneath Colchuck - maneuvering around some recent ice fall and we were soon back down amongst the big boulders at the lake shore.  I uncover a cold beer that I had secretly stashed on the way in - Ha! no beer for you my pretty!  Katy makes do with Gatorade which was probably smart.  I felt really good for the first 15 minutes return around the lake - after that it became the all to familiar death march out to the car.  Soon fixed with another cold one and a change of clothes :)

A great day out in the mountains and a fine ski adventure with my daughter.  I'm in big trouble now - she got a good look at the Serpentine Arete - I'll be expecting a text message any day now...Yikes!

Nice. ;)
Thanks for the report.

Fun TR, thanks.

I think that I will put my daughter on a split board.  That way I know that no matter how old and slow I may get, I will always be able to catch up on transitions.   ;)

Great TR. Too funny.

Colchuck Glacier is such a great ski!

Reply to this TR

jun26-colchuck-cornfest-my-daughter-kicks-my-ss
oldfartskierdad
2011-06-28 10:57:06