Home > Trip Reports > June 26, 2011, Muir Raceboots Stoke

June 26, 2011, Muir Raceboots Stoke

6/26/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by jesski on 6/27/11 11:18am
I've been making a habit of Muir laps when my weird schedule only allows for random or partial days off, difficulties with trip partner coordination, or an early return time to Seattle. This was my first Sunday Muir day in a while as well as the first time in a while that I'd toured with other people. Surprisingly, I found the sunny schlog to be notably more crowded with glissaders in jeans and the like than on a typical blustery tuesday morning (one particularly jovial fellow remarked that his method of downhill travel was far superior to skiing, and after watching him slide on his butt with crampons on, I'd almost say I agree. Almost.)

Since there was no one else there, and since the backcountry skiing community is surely dying for a conditions update from Camp Muir (hope I don't annoy anyone by posting their secret stash or anything), I thought I'd post a conditions/trip "report" this time for two reasons:

1. Because the suncups have officially returned, the nisqually has opened, and I thought people might like to know (it's not as if this information is available anywhere else, gosh), and more importantly....

2. Because I dragged a friend up there with me in raceboots! He bootpacked the ENTIRE way while I skinned. Moreover, he ran the last 500 vf up. I was very impressed by his first "backcountry" experience.

Excellent quotes:

from the "trip planning" conversation (took place at ~midnight the evening previous whilst intoxicated & toga-ing) from said friend:

"I'm an ironman. I can beat you to Muir. Let's do it."

on the drive to Muir:

"Think we're still drunk enough to get pulled over?"

during the trip:

"I think you may be onto something with those skins."

At Muir:

"Real men wear shorts and boots,"  (a couple of older ladies from an IMG-led team were inclined to concur with this assessment)

and, the very best yet, back at the car:

"You changed my life today. I'm getting a touring setup."

The stoke level was high, the laughter copious, and shenanigan-ry (oh yes, that's absolutely a word), prolific.

The icing on the cake for me was running into one of my students from Crystal whom I taught to ski/ tour from scratch, who had made it to Muir by himself, and was also in fine spirits and carved some lovely parallel turns down the snowfield. Apparently, getting out on flat snow with crowds of people has its benefits :)

Photos forthcoming.
Some photos of the blessed event.

Real men wear shorts with boots. Everyone knows this.

Maybe, if I look uphill at the photographer enough, I'll end up being taller:

Behold, I ran into David, who was *STOKED*! David + Me.

A couple that Damo took of me ripping the sweet flat sh**t... in light that was also a little flat.

Ripper!

Nicely written Jessie.

Reply to this TR

june-26-2011-muir-raceboots-stoke
jesski
2011-06-27 18:18:31