Home > Trip Reports > June 26, UniCORN Peak (Tatoosh)

June 26, UniCORN Peak (Tatoosh)

6/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by cchapin on 6/26/11 1:02pm
My wife and I got our first summit in since her January ACL tear and February surgery today.  Continuous snow right from the trail head, frozen solid when we started at 7:30.  It started to soften around 10-11.  I skied (she walked) down around 1pm on really good corn, bootpack, and lots of avy debris!  Great day to start getting back out there.

Complete set of photos here:

http://radkaandchris.smugmug.com/Climbing/Unicorn-June-26-2011/17760811_J7ffSn#1356201284_9tSz9h8

Edit: Still a ton of huge cornices waiting to come down too!
Hi Chris,

Sounds like her knee is recovering well.  Assuming she wasn't on her skis yet, I'm sure she will be ready for the coming winter.

That's right Kenji, she isn't skiing yet.  Not until the resorts re-open next season :)  Her knee is kind of bothering her after the Unicorn trip too, probably because she didn't have tape on it to keep the patella straight... (it goes off to outside of her knee and causes issues when not taped).  All the misalignments from the injury and surgery have been fixed by PT, except for this last one...

Aha. Mystery solved.
From Foss we noticed two peops at the Unicorn saddle on Sunday and then later noticed one glissade track and one set of ski tracks below the saddle.
Me thinks it must have been you and Radka :)

Congratulations Radka!!

Glad to hear you are back out in the mountains on snow!

Reply to this TR

june-26-unicorn-peak-tatoosh
cchapin
2011-06-26 20:02:36