Home > Trip Reports > June 26, 2011; Vesper Peak

June 26, 2011; Vesper Peak

6/15/11
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by Marcus on 6/26/11 10:56am
Ross, AP, Nate, Tim and I skied Vesper Peak today.  Perfect blue skies, views of Rainier, Glacier and Baker (and everything else in the range), a light breeze on the summit... it was perfect.

Puppy in the flowers

We left the car at about 8:45 and made quick time through several small stream crossings to the top of the slide alder/heather/trillium slopes and the end of the hanging valley between Sperry and Morningstar.  Continuous snow started here and I expect it will remain for another week or so.  The bootpack up to Headlee Pass was quicker than I remember -- last time AP and I were here was a (failed) trip to climb Vesper's north face, probably 9 years ago.

AP and Hopi at Headlee, Morningstar behind

The snow had been a bit slick for skinning below Headlee, but the east face of Vesper was in fine shape and we topped out a bit before one.  As I remembered from 9 years back, the views from Vesper are just stunning -- it feels like it's smack in the middle of the Cascades.

We lounged on the summit and shared food, soaking in the sun and the views.  When we got around to skiing, the east face was a bit mushy and grabby down low, but still skied well enough.  Ross, Tim and AP skied one of the skier's-left Headlee Pass chutes, while Nate and I skied the bootpack-chute.  Conditions on the more sun-protected slopes were much better, with excellent corn most of the way down to our trailrunners. 

Tim, Ross and Nate modeling high-style solar headwear
You skied off the summit as I was skinning the final 100' verts.  Good looking turns : )  Lovely day up there

Nice! Looks like it was a fantastic day up there! And I particularly love the "puppy amidst the flowers" shot.  That looks like it's out of a Disney movie or something! :)

Damn, wish we had delayed the departure Steve!  Would have been nice to meet you.  Lovely day indeed.

Beck, Hopi was auditioning for Disney's latest all day.  Assuming they're doing a film about half-deaf, ski-crazed barking dogs, that is.  Sorry y'all didn't get Maude!  Hope the shin heals up quick.

Looks like an easier day then your other weekend plan.

Fine choice!

Hey, we were up there, the two guys that headed down first, we were leary of the chutes skiers left, glad to hear they went well, next time!!!

Reply to this TR

june-26-2011-vesper-peak
Marcus
2011-06-26 17:56:51