Home > Trip Reports > June 26, 2011, Fryingpan glacier/Summerland, MRNP

June 26, 2011, Fryingpan glacier/Summerland, MRNP

6/26/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by dkoelle on 6/26/11 10:49am
Got a ridiculously early start to catch the good snow.  There is perhaps 1/2 hour of walking before one hits continuous snow (not counting a few bridges).  I booted right up the center towards "lower" Meany Crest, and then followed up the less-steep "upper" Meany Crest, following nice steps.  The uphill skier's (looking uphill) right (west) lateral short-cut to Little Tahoma features some sporting glide cracks and travel above rocks. Not sure but I think this might be called the Whitman glacier.  In contrast the straight up boot, while steep, was otherwise unremarkable.  From Meany Crest, a quick beautiful trip up to Whitman Crest. I started down about about 12:15.   The upper glacier/snowfield featured one crack just below the Crest, but is was easily avoided if you eyeball it on the descent and don't get too enthusiastic.  The upper glacier while low angle had spectacular snow and views.  This year I avoided the steepest step from Meany after being caught there in a wet loose slide a couple of years ago.  Entering the main Summerland lower snowfield, the upper part was decent, but the lower part transitioning into the creek valley had the worst runnels I have ever attempted to ski.  Fun luge run down through the woods. Afterwards, I drove up to Chinook to look around.  4-8 feet of snow and people skiing on steep stuff right above the road.  A few pictures at http://www.flickr.com/photos/koelle/ 

Reply to this TR

june-26-2011-fryingpan-glacier-summerland-mrnp
dkoelle
2011-06-26 17:49:55