Home > Trip Reports > June 24-25, South Sister

June 24-25, South Sister

6/15/11
OR elsewhere
Posted by telemack on 6/26/11 4:46am
     I'll open the TR and let others do the details.  I'm simulTAYneously unpacking and prepping for the next carpetbagger's raid on the southern volcanoes.
     Zap must have been chuckling as he imagined TBill, GaryJan, Snowbell and me flogging ourselves into Green Lake with gear bungied onto our loads like a Cub Scout's first backpack.  We found a nice patch of bare turf right above Green Lake, and did the Lewis Glacier route to the summit. 
Corn season is in full swing; we had consistent goodness for thousands of feet.  We skied the Lewis "sidewall"  ???  from Hodge Crest then back to camp.  Trevor decided on a bonus sunset jaunt up Broken Top nearly to its summit, and Joe joined him for part of it. 
     Yesterday Joe and TBill did South AGAIN via the Prouty Glacier (showoffs!  ::)) while Gary and I toured the Newberry Lava Flow.  We resisted T-Man's siren call to "do Broken Top again-the boottrack's still in", and Gary and I headed down.  The return was marked by Joe's highly agile "Wade of Shame" gear rescue and a glorious Cascade beat-down on the featureless last two miles. 
After skiing Bachelor, we stopped at the TH where you parked.  I've never seen so much snow at that location.  Also met the fellow you guys setup camp next to.  He mentioned you were heading up South Sister and were really moving.  Glad to hear that you and Gary enjoyed the tour of the Lava Flow, especially seeing you both had long drives back home.  I could tell that TBill and Joe were on a mission to tour non-stop.   ;)

Hopefully, we'll link up at Lassen.  Weather is improving on Thursday.

Way to get after it on the south..

BTW, how was the suncup situation over on the Prouty route?

How about the 'shrund..maybe all filled in?

Thanks for the report.  I'll be skiing the South Sister July 11-13 and planned to camp at green lakes etc.  I hope to ski the Middle Sister too.  I'll have plenty of time as I'll be spending two nights.  But I'll be the only one skiing in our group.  I'm glad to hear there is a huge snow pack and excellent corn.

Telemack, I notice you are from Kitsap County.  I live in Poulsbo, am new to the area and tele. I've recently started to test out the Olympics... Made an attempt at Mt. Deception, Have traversed on Hurricane Ridge and hope to checkout Mt. Ellinor with some people I've met.  I'd love to ski if you don't mind meeting new people  :) 

author=danpeck link=topic=21283.msg91165#msg91165 date=1309238747]
I'd love to ski if you don't mind meeting new people  :) 

Excellent!  Let's get in touch mid-July. 

A very enjoyable trip with great partners. As Mack continues is virtually unbroken string of TR's without photos, I felt obligated to provide some evidence of our travels.

1. Mack, Joe & Trevor with our descent route in the background.
     2. Mack expressing his joy at locating the Green Cr. crossing.
     3. Trevor trying to hitch a ride to the nearest snow covered mountain he could ride.

Gary

author=rlsg link=topic=21283.msg91127#msg91127 date=1309202798]
Way to get after it on the south..

BTW, how was the suncup situation over on the Prouty route?

How about the 'shrund..maybe all filled in?

Thanks rlsg. 
The Prouty is in great shape with minor suncups or runnels.  The headwall has a couple of cracks opening up and is getting a bit narrow toward the top but it should be good for a while longer. 

This is probably the best picture that I took of it:

Another great trip...thanks guys.

Again it seems that the more places I ski, the more places I want to go back and ski again.  What a great area.

Here are a few more photos: https://picasaweb.google.com/marlene.joseph.bell/SouthSister#

Reply to this TR

june-24-25-south-sister
telemack
2011-06-26 11:46:17