Home > Trip Reports > June 22, 2011, Mt. McLoughlin

June 22, 2011, Mt. McLoughlin

6/22/11
Posted by bc44caesar on 6/25/11 1:26am
Tried to drive to the trailhead from the Summit Sno-Park, but snow barred progress a half mile or so away (I only learned later that you can get there from the road to Four Mile Lake snow-free). Started pretty late and had soft snow pretty much the whole way. Couldn't follow the trail, so I just wandered in the direction of the mountain. Loads of mosquitos until treeline. Reached the summit after four hours or so - warm, clear, lots of descent options... I opted to ski down the up-route, making as many turns as possible in whatever bowls were convenient. Despite the relatively late hour the snow was remarkably solid, although every turn sent off massive pinwheels. Somehow convinced myself that I was descending the wrong ridgeline, and kept pushing left which dropped me out at Four Mile Lake with an extra three miles of road hiking/sliding to the car. Pays to be a little more careful with navigation on volcanoes I guess...
Cool - nice to hear that McLoughlin is holding up well!  It's funny on the descent - we did the same thing a few years ago, ending up off by a couple miles from where we thought we there.  Something about the lines off the upper mountain spinning you off, and then it all looking the same once you hit the trees there.

That's a lot of snow; same as everywhere down there, huh.   8)
Three years ago I lost the way on the way up, then after skiing the northeast face had a fun thrash traversing back south.  I ran into the only person I saw all day, who was descending
the trail right where I was hoping to intersect it.

Reply to this TR

june-22-2011-mt-mcloughlin
bc44caesar
2011-06-25 08:26:08