Home > Trip Reports > June 22, 2011, Mt. Hood, Cooper Spur

June 22, 2011, Mt. Hood, Cooper Spur

6/22/11
OR Mt Hood
Posted by hefeweizen on 6/22/11 11:11pm
Just a quick TR to let folks know that the Cooper Spur is in excellent condition.
I started from the Meadows parking lot at about 3am, up Wy East to circa 8600', then traversed the Newton Clark glacier (not very broken up right now) over to the Cooper Spur.
Booted up the Spur, kind of punchy in spots but mostly good cramponing. Topped out around 9, skied in prime corn at about 9:30. Again, route is in great shape.
Going from Meadows seemed to work well. I ran into a split boarder who said he had approached from the Cloud Cap Road, and had spent the previous night at the Tilly Jane cabin. Since the road isn't open all the way I believe he had to hike a little bit, where as I was able to ski back to my car.
WOW ..that is a cool way to do it!  I will have to do my repeat that way some time, especially when rd. to cloud cap is closed.  WHAT A STUNNING POSITION.. Thanks for the "new way" info..

yeah i was the splitboarder you ran into. it was a 3 mile dry hike from the trailhead. definately was envious of you skiing back to your car. cooper spur is in awesome shape, good snow, the bootpack is a bit rough though. old wind lips and sastrugi is very unconsolidated and resulted in knee deep postholes for a bit of the lower part of the climb. i think you missed it coming from newton clark area. climb up was rough in snowboard boots. took a couple of kicks to get each step in on the upper steep slopes through the chimneys. ride down was intense. good though.

Reply to this TR

june-22-2011-mt-hood-cooper-spur
hefeweizen
2011-06-23 06:11:54