Home > Trip Reports > June 20, 2011, Inter Glacier Deep Wet Corn at 3

June 20, 2011, Inter Glacier Deep Wet Corn at 3

6/20/11
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by freightrainer on 6/22/11 3:12am
Peter and I headed out from White River Campground at about 9:30 and ended up staying on the Glacier Basin Trail most of the way up. We were able to start skinning after a couple of miles (were the old RR debris sits by the side of the trail). The snow was getting softer and softer as we approached Steamboat and we were pretty much resigned to a slow and sticky descent.
After a bite to eat and  an hour enjoying a spectacular day at the top of the Inter Glacier we headed down - probably 3:00 to 3:30.
The snow turned out to be great and Lhasas were definitely the ski for the day.
The skiing was about 2 parts snow skiing to 1 part water skiing. Deep, wet cuts in very fast granular snow snow - a blast to ski! The conditions held until just above glacier basin where the corn turned to glue and the ride was over. I was surprised how far down the hill the good snow lasted though. Glacier wax with an aggressive profile made the boards extra fast.
Very nice Steve and Peter. I was thinking it would be a great day up there as I looked at Rainier from my office. ;)
Glad you got some.

Thanks Chris - I really expected to see you up there - It would have been a good day for the DPS skis. Definitely the best day of the spring for us.

Reply to this TR

june-20-2011-inter-glacier-deep-wet-corn-at-3
freightrainer
2011-06-22 10:12:10