Home > Trip Reports > June 15, 2011, Mount Hood (Leuthold Cliffs?)

June 15, 2011, Mount Hood (Leuthold Cliffs?)

6/15/11
OR Mt Hood
Posted by jbski on 6/21/11 2:13am
Hey all.  My name is Joel and I'm from Colorado but have I've been enjoying your part of the country for the past month.  It has been my goal to ski several volcanoes.  I figured I would post my final trip report up here.  If you'd like to see anything from the other trips just let me know (Baker, Rainier, St Helens, Adams).

On Wednesday (June 15) I did a solo summit and descent on Hood.  I had a climbing partner, Ben, up to the Hogsback but he ended up having to leave, so I continued on solo.  The ascent and descent were certainly on rime, but it was still quite a bit of fun and it forced me to ski fast.  Funky snow, high winds, and good-visibility-to-no-visibility made it quite an adventure.

I've got some pics and video below but you can video here.

If anyone knows the name of the rock outcrop (above Illumination Rock) that I skied next to please let me know.  I talked to someone who said they thought it was called Leuthold Cliffs, but he wasn't sure.  I can't find them named on any of my maps.
If anyone knows the name of the rock outcrop (above Illumination Rock) that I skied next to please let me know.  I talked to someone who said they thought it was called Leuthold Cliffs, but he wasn't sure.  I can't find them named on any of my maps.

i think that may just be considered an extension of the west crater rim.  The Leuthold Couloir in on the opposite side of that ridge, west facing, above and lookers-left of the Reid glacier..so i'd be surprised if something on the other side (south side) of the ridge shares the same 'Leuthold' name.  Those rocks on the opposite side (above the Reid glacier) are what would be considered part of the Reid glacier headwall, but the south side that faces the hogsback.... i could certainly be wrong, but I've never heard of them referred to as the Leuthold cliffs.

looks like you had a great trip hitting the volcanoes... congrats!

Your route was down West Crater Rim, under Hawkins Cliffs.  You can ski down Castle Crags/Reid Headwall on the west side of that ridge.  Leutholds would have to be accessed early off the summit ridge.  Variable conditions last week, but good where it was good!  <<<<<<<<<<<<<==========~~~~~~~~~~~

Reply to this TR

june-15-2011-mount-hood-leuthold-cliffs
jbski
2011-06-21 09:13:53