telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
08/18/19, 03:18 PM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  2011 Backcountry Trip Reports
| |-+  June 2011 Backcountry Trip Reports
| | |-+  June 15, 2011, Mount Hood (Leuthold Cliffs?)
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: June 15, 2011, Mount Hood (Leuthold Cliffs?)  (Read 2032 times)
jbski
1Member

June 15, 2011, Mount Hood (Leuthold Cliffs?)
« on: 06/21/11, 10:13 AM »

Hey all.  My name is Joel and I'm from Colorado but have I've been enjoying your part of the country for the past month.  It has been my goal to ski several volcanoes.  I figured I would post my final trip report up here.  If you'd like to see anything from the other trips just let me know (Baker, Rainier, St Helens, Adams).

On Wednesday (June 15) I did a solo summit and descent on Hood.  I had a climbing partner, Ben, up to the Hogsback but he ended up having to leave, so I continued on solo.  The ascent and descent were certainly on rime, but it was still quite a bit of fun and it forced me to ski fast.  Funky snow, high winds, and good-visibility-to-no-visibility made it quite an adventure.

I've got some pics and video below but you can find a write-up and more pics HERE.

Video here.

If anyone knows the name of the rock outcrop (above Illumination Rock) that I skied next to please let me know.  I talked to someone who said they thought it was called Leuthold Cliffs, but he wasn't sure.  I can't find them named on any of my maps.
Pete A

Re: June 15, 2011, Mount Hood (Leuthold Cliffs?)
« Reply #1 on: 06/21/11, 11:10 AM »

If anyone knows the name of the rock outcrop (above Illumination Rock) that I skied next to please let me know.  I talked to someone who said they thought it was called Leuthold Cliffs, but he wasn't sure.  I can't find them named on any of my maps.

i think that may just be considered an extension of the west crater rim.  The Leuthold Couloir in on the opposite side of that ridge, west facing, above and lookers-left of the Reid glacier..so i'd be surprised if something on the other side (south side) of the ridge shares the same 'Leuthold' name.  Those rocks on the opposite side (above the Reid glacier) are what would be considered part of the Reid glacier headwall, but the south side that faces the hogsback.... i could certainly be wrong, but I've never heard of them referred to as the Leuthold cliffs.

looks like you had a great trip hitting the volcanoes... congrats!
Dale Crockatt
5Member

Re: June 15, 2011, Mount Hood (Leuthold Cliffs?)
« Reply #2 on: 06/21/11, 02:42 PM »

Your route was down West Crater Rim, under Hawkins Cliffs.  You can ski down Castle Crags/Reid Headwall on the west side of that ridge.  Leutholds would have to be accessed early off the summit ridge.  Variable conditions last week, but good where it was good!  <<<<<<<<<<<<<==========~~~~~~~~~~~

Happy trails!~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.