Home > Trip Reports > December 30, 2004, Pan Point

December 30, 2004, Pan Point

12/30/04
Posted by TonyM on 12/30/04 4:57am
Had every intention of going up to Camp Muir, but one of my BCA skins malfunctioned (zero sticking power, time to re-glue), so I decided to call it off at the top of Pan Point.  The snow was excellent, light powder over a firm to frozen base.  I'd estimate the new stuff at 8 to 12 inches depending on aspect.  Walking up Pan point was a little interesting as the snow there was not well bonded, so caution is advised. It was fairly windy above Pan Point too, and the snow there was wind affected and a little slabby in places.

Hit a couple rocks going down Pan Point, but coverage is becoming adequate and a couple more days of snow should do the trick.  

Token turns photo:
thanks for the good news

in the interest of accuracy, isn't that Alta Vista rather than Pan Point? 8)

Was in a bit of a rush when I posted the TR.  Yes, the pic was taken at Alta Vista and not Panorama point.  The wind and fog had rolled in at Pan Point and visibility went to just a few feet.  But down below, there was a nice sun break, no wind, and some great snow.  So I stopped under the slope of Alta Vista, dropped my pack, walked up and skied down.

;)Sorry, it's just that I've lapped that shot a couple times over the years in whiteout conditions and know it all too well...Plus you look at it everytime you leave the parking lot!

Reply to this TR

december-30-2004-pan-point
TonyM
2004-12-30 12:57:35