Home > Trip Reports > June 19, 2011, Dickerman exploration and Pilchuck

June 19, 2011, Dickerman exploration and Pilchuck

6/19/11
WA Cascades West Slopes Central
Posted by JPH on 6/19/11 1:18pm
Figuring the snow would be less than awesome anywhere I went today, I headed out to the mountain loop in search of adventure.  I was hoping to climb and ski the north side of Dickerman.

I made my way up the Perry Creek trail in to my col of choice at ~2600', and was happy to see that it was still totally filled where it hits the trail. 

The snow in the col was a healthy mix of rocks, branches and avi debris, which was pretty much what I expected but was hoping for something a little better. 

I worked my way up to 3900' where a mix of a sketchy snow bridge and visible gap in the snow ~50' further up turned me back, guess I was a few weeks late... 

The snow bridge probably would have held, but I decided it wasn't worth testing it out, especially since there was likely a huge moat a few steps further up.  The real kick in the ass was that I could see where the terrain opens up just above my high point.  >:(

The ski down was probably some of the least enjoyable survival skiing I have ever had the pleasure of taking part in.  Turns out skiing rocks, branches and frozen avy debris pretty much sucks.  The line has the potential to be amazing, but I'd guess that it's rarely in shape with good snow and stable enough conditions to make it happen since the gully is a huge terrain trap and obviously gets hammered with slides from all angles.  Anyone ever get it with decent snow?  Winter access is definitely an issue there.

View down from near my turn around point.

Since I got back to the car earlier than planned and wanted to actually make some turns, I headed up to Pilchuck and took a lap up to the lookout.  Coverage on Pilchuck is still great, especially up high.  You can still ski pretty close to the parking lot, but you can't drive to the lot because of a lingering snow patch.  Both will probably change this week if the weather forecast holds.
for all the glory tr's that float around this place, i've gotta say you, sir, are what it's all about. hiking to questionable quality lines on a crappy NW day. TAY requires true grit, and this TR is chock full of that, man!

Sure beats the city.

Definitely beats the city!  But really, even though it sounds like a miserable trip, it was still a lot of fun in a different kind of way.

Awesome -- those kind of trips are the best, in a bizarre way.

Thanks for a realistic TR.  We have all had similar experiences but rarely share the trip.  Ditto Randy's comments.  ;)

Thanks for the TR - I had the same thought looking up those gullies on Dickerman on a summer hike that they might be good skiing.  Isn't the typical winter closure gate on the Mtn Loop pretty close to the Perry Creek Trailhead (when there isn't a washout like this year) (or is my memory that fuzzy)?

The winter approach would be about 3.5 miles on the road.  I think you'd want to feel out the snow above the gully before getting into it instead of coming up from the bottom if there was any question about stability.  If the snowpack was fat enough that you weren't worried about the line being filled in, then maybe you could take the south side summer trail-ish route through the woods and up to the ridge, see how the snow looks, ski the col and ski the Perry Creek trail out. 

Reply to this TR

june-19-2011-dickerman-exploration-and-pilchuck
JPH
2011-06-19 20:18:03