Home > Trip Reports > June 15, 2011, Continental Divide, CO, Moon Corn

June 15, 2011, Continental Divide, CO, Moon Corn

6/15/11
US elsewhere
Posted by MW88888888 on 6/17/11 6:56am
Continental Divide, Colorado
Corn, Moonlight and Wild America

11 pm

The Ides of June.  Days before summer.  And the corn is 5 feet deep at the road cut.  Some years (most years) this bowl isn€™t skiable this late.  There is usually snow, yes, but not to the road, and certainly not a body length full.  I jump up on the snowpack and start climbing.

It starts to rain.

It€™s pretty windy, too.  I have the usual internal dialogue €“

Reason: €œThis is stupid, dangerous and the skiing looks marginal€
New England Skier€™s ID: €œBut you€™re on snow, it€™s mid-June, and it is a long goddamn Summer.  Go on!€
Reason: €œIt is dark, ok, make that it's the middle of the night, scary, and it is RAINING, you jackass€
New England Skier€™s ID: €œBut you€™re on snow, it€™s mid-June, and it is a long goddamn Summer.  Go on!€
Reason: €œI give up.€

Gray clouds cover the full moon providing moody backlight across the sky.  My flashlight shows where the sun-cupped, melt-channeled snow is smoothest.  It€™s pretty smooth really.  I am impressed.  A couple hundred feet higher and it€™s downright nice. 

I look up and notice the outer edge of the clouds are approaching the moon €“ beyond and behind, crystal clear skies.  The raincloud overhead appears to be breaking up.  Excellent.  I look to the West and see another on the way.  I move a little faster, filled with pent-up glee.  This is going to WORK.

-

I€™m standing on top.  Midnight.  Below, I see the mountains cast in Moonlight, the Plains are a wedge of light against the backdrop of the dark mountains around me.  I could suck in all humanity, I feel so ALIVE.  I am sure there would be no war if all humans skied.  Who has time to kill each other when we have all THIS?  I cast my arms out and above my head and let out a hoot of joy and drop in.

Temps are in the mid 40s and a slight breeze from the north keeps the top a fun crunchy layer above the warm corn below.  I use no flashlight, the moon providing all the light I need to see.  I carve a series of beautiful GS turns down the upper bowl nearing treeline.

Shadows move below and ahead of me.  Hey!  I see figures moving across the slope.  People?  Cool, actual people out tonight?  I come to a stop, scanning the slope.  The shadows elongate and move very strangely for human beings.  A chill runs down my spine€¦then recognition.  Those aren€™t people! 

They€™re elk!  A small herd crosses the bowl right in front of me. 

I let them pass.  Wonder where the Bull is? 

-

1 AM

Driving home.  My mind is still high.  Scenes of the Elk dissolving out of the blackness in front of me keep me fascinated, re-running the moment over and over in my head. 

I am half aware of a black shape ahead of me on the road.  SHIT!  I slam on the brakes. The shape turns and I see the snout of a bear clearly in my headlights.  The black bear rumbles off the road giving me the stink eye.
Good to know you are keeping reason in check.

Beautiful!  Where?

It's too bad the warmongers don't experience nature more....they might chill out.

Great story.  Thanks for posting.  Inspires me to go out on a moonlight sortie.

Reply to this TR

june-15-2011-continental-divide-co-moon-corn
MW88888888
2011-06-17 13:56:14