Home > Trip Reports > June 12, 2011, Scatter Peak, Ten Pass Tour

June 12, 2011, Scatter Peak, Ten Pass Tour

6/12/11
Posted by ADappen on 6/16/11 1:13am
On Sunday June 12, Tom Janisch and I skied up Scatter Peak plunked between Mt. Daniel to the west and Mt. Stuart to the east. We then traversed under the craggy peaks forming the spine of the Chelan-Kitttitas county line on a beautifully scenic and navigationally interesting route leading to Paddy-Go-Easy Pass. We called this the Ten Pass Tour. Depending on whether you called a few slots in ridges we rounded passes or not, this could even be called the Twelve Pass Tour but, hey, I'm a writer so why let the facts get in the way of a better title? I have a magazine-styled article and a topographic map of the route

I tried posting a map of the area but the resolution wasn't good at this size so I deleted it and added a few more photos instead.

That's quite a slide in 2nd to last picture. Was that from cornice failure? I covered a wide swath. What do you suspect the layer it slid on was?

Anyhow, excellent TR. It's great that you guys navigate all the terrain.

Good chance that a cornice provided the trigger of this slide we skied around. While skiing in the Stuart area on different trips between the end of May to mid June, I've noticed several of these big slides on neighboring peaks on ESE to SE exposures. All of them were below corniced ridges so  natural triggers may have gotten them going, but when they went, they went big.

Reply to this TR

june-12-2011-scatter-peak-ten-pass-tour
ADappen
2011-06-16 08:13:19