Home > Trip Reports > June 13-14, 2011, Primus Peak via Thunder Creek

June 13-14, 2011, Primus Peak via Thunder Creek

6/13/11
Posted by tabski on 6/15/11 6:36am
Davide and I hiked the 6 miles in to McAllister Camp (~1900') via Thunder Creek Monday afternoon under rainy skies. The next day we climbed the long, steep ridge and ascended the Borealis Glacier to Lucky Pass between Tricouni and Primus Peaks. We ascended the E slope of Primus through snow flurries and mushy snow to the 8,508' summit. Mostly cloudy skies obscured most of the view, but we were still rewarded with fleeting vistas of surrounding peaks.

The snow was very unconsolidated and we made a cautious descent, releasing occasional point-release avalanches on the steeper slopes. We were able to descend the ridge back to around 4,500' before hiking back to camp and exiting to the car at Colonial Creek CG.

Skinning below Tricouni.

Boston, Sahale, and Forbidden make an appearance.

Davide skis the E ridge of Primus.

Back into the deeeeep McAllister/Thunder valley.

Google Earth topo.

That second shot of Forbidden Peak is spot on.

nice tour, and pics, tabski.  beautiful area with a bit of work up that ridge; i've bivvied at the Borealis Gl outlet before. 

i recall that West-facing line on Tricouni has been skied(?), maybe you got a glimpse of it.

Nice Drew! And welcome back Davide....

Cool trip!

The McAllister camp has a nice ring to it. Have to check it out sometime.

Sweet work Drew, thanks for sharing.  Looks like a hump to get out of the Thunder Creek valley.

Reply to this TR

june-13-14-2011-primus-peak-via-thunder-creek
tabski
2011-06-15 13:36:34