Home > Trip Reports > June 12, 2011, Table Mountain

June 12, 2011, Table Mountain

6/12/11
WA Cascades West Slopes North (Mt Baker)
Posted by mikec on 6/13/11 1:59pm
hey all!
I'm back.. at least for the summer, until I start my PhD in avalanche research.
My buddy Mat and I headed down south to the Baker region yesterday to enjoy the sun that was only forecasted in the lands of our friendly neighbours to the south.  It was a beautiful day, reaching around 15 degrees at Heather Meadows.  As you can tell from the pic below, it may be quite a while for Artist Point to open up!!
We saw about 5 groups of skiers around, mainly skiing the resort or below Table.  Mat and I decided to head out the Ptarmigan Ridge way and scoop around to the top of Table.  Snow seemed quite stable except for the top few cm that was completely saturated.
Views and weather were gorgeous; sun, no wind.. just the enjoyment of being on skis in the middle of June.  Second picture is as we hit the summit of Table with Baker behind.  Likely not the ideal day to go up Baker with it being in and out of clouds seemingly every few minutes.
The turns were just as pleasant with some cornish slush aiding us the way down.  Picture 3 shows Mat with our turns in the background.. no complaints!
Hope to see you all out in the PNW in the next couple months!  If you see a tall guy with red pants and a blue arcteryx backpack, please say hi :)

Reply to this TR

june-12-2011-table-mountain
mikec
2011-06-13 20:59:01