Home > Trip Reports > December 26, 2004, Paradise

December 26, 2004, Paradise

12/26/04
WA Cascades West Slopes South (Mt Rainier)
Posted by ron j on 12/27/04 7:08pm
I figured if we got to Paradise around 9:30 instead of the usual 9:00 the jocks and pilgrims will have broke new trails every which way through the 6" of freshies that we were expecting.  Wrong again.  I guess everyone else had the same plan, 'cause by 10:00 the fresh snow above the parking lot was still unblemished.  I guess we were the pilgrims of the day.  So we reluctantly ploughed into it.  I forged ahead to take one fore the team and then, of course remembered that someone needed to do a beacon check and dutifully allowed the others pass by while I checked their beacons.  Performing this critical task somehow left Jerry and I behind Amy and MadDog breaking twin trails side by side so they could chat.  In that neither Jerry nor I are the least bit chauvinistic the only "right" thing to do was to follow along side by side behind them and let them continue to break two trails.

By the time we got a ways out we looked back to see quite a gaggle of skiers behind us.  That prompted us to pull off for "clothing adjustments" to let the throng pass us and, of course, break trail.  
It turned out the throng were not first timers in the bc, tho, and they all pulled up for "clothing adjustments" as well.

We exchanged pleasantries with Brian Scott (yep, the same weatherman, extraordinaire, that teaches the class on weather forecasting using the internet) and his wife Carol, along with another ski partner.  Right behind them was the Scottsman, Chris and his ski partner Grant.  A few other skiers and snowshoers were coming up behind them.  

I was all set to dig in for a long term visit rather than break trail but Amy and Jeanette tired of the chatter and took off breaking trail again.  Just about the time I was about to comment on all the macho skiers following our two petite trail breakers, both Brian and Chris, possibly due to tiring of the geezerly pace, passed the leads and charged off ahead.  

By the time we go to the toe of the first significant slope, the Scottsman had a nice snowpit dug on a south 30 degree aspect for us to poach.   conditions were about 6" of fresh on a thin, solid rain crust which was about an inch above a bomber, pencil hard crust about 4 " thick.  The snow between the thin and the thick hard layer below was already rounding significantly and bears watching as time goes on and more loads get added.
Our RB (well, I mean Scottsman's  ;) )failed to move anything below the upper crust, to which the fresh snow appeared to be well bonded.  

For the rest of the day we had our way with the different angles and aspects of slopes in the area, seeking the best combination for great turns without skiing on the hard crust below.  Here's a shot of MadDog having her way with the freshies, at just about the right angle with her weight almost evenly blalanced on both skis to avoid hitting the hard crust below:
Jerry also shot shot some pics and viddy; maybe if we hold our mouths right we'll get another one of his classic video compilations.

We certainly appreciated the timely freshies.  The alternative would have been much lower on the fun meter.  Nonetheless, Paradise really needs about 2 or 3 more feet of snow to have great coverage for skiing.  
Cross your fingers.

It was a very fun day indeed!  :D  All of us were able to find lots of first tracks and very good ski conditions even though Paradise is reporting 35 inches at the base this year in comparision to last year being over 100 inches at this same time.  Here are a few pictures of our fun.  ;D

http://groups.msn.com/WildHeartsSkiing/paradise122604.msnw

Thanks for the pictures Jeanette!  It was definitely a great way to finish the holiday weekend (a tropical Paradise compared to the single digit temperatures in Wisconsin!).

I'm sorry I missed out on what looked to be a great day. thanks for the pics and reporting not as good as bieng there but it helps.

Yeah Stefan, we miss you man!  The light was not very good for video, but here it is  8)

Wow.
Another great job on the cinematography, Warren... I mean Jerry.  That's another keeper.  Great choice of bg tunes, as well.  Very nice work.

Hey Jer, thanks for capturing our fun day on film!  ;D

Reply to this TR

december-26-2004-paradise
ron j
2004-12-28 03:08:35