Home > Trip Reports > June 12, 2011, Diamond Peak (OR)

June 12, 2011, Diamond Peak (OR)

6/12/11
Posted by DG on 6/13/11 12:35am
Diamond Peak is accessible and fully covered with snow!  I backpacked in and camped on Saturday around 6,000 ft elevation via the Pioneer Gulch trail.  The road to PG is clear of snow aside from a couple of rapidly diminishing patches about two hundred feet short of the trailhead.  Not sure about the Corrigan Lake trailhead, but after having entered via PG, I think I prefer this to CL as a more direct route up to the SW ridge.  I talked to two snowboarders coming down from their climb Saturday (good to run into you guys again Buell!), but otherwise saw nary a soul up on the mountain until later Sunday.

I woke up earlyish on Sunday and was heading up towards the SW ridge by a little after 7.  The route up the ridge is in good shape with some previous tracks laid down by hikers, a snowshoer, and a dog (must have been soft up there).  I skinned the first section and then switched to booting.  There was great weather in the morning with just a few clouds and light to moderate wind.  From the summit, everything is snow-covered including the SW, North, and East bowls.  They all looked enticing but there was a few inches of unconsolidated snow on top of the pack on Saturday afternoon, which was even apparent in a few spots on Sunday morning after a good clear night.  So I lingered a while on the summit and then dropped in to the direct line to the SW bowl where there was no evidence of wet slide activity.  At 10:30 am, there was about an inch of corn on a firm crust for the ski down.   Great turns, and then hung out for a while at camp before skiing out as clouds came billowing in from the west.  Snow is continuous to about a quarter mile from the trailhead, making for a fun tree dodging run out with a full pack.
Nice report!  Looks like sweet conditions.  Almost did Diamond with Buell this weekend, but opted for the Middle Sister.  Given the snowpack and weather this weekend in the Oregon cascades, I don't think one could go wrong on any of the peaks!

We also skied Diamond on Sunday.  Went in from the Corrigan Lake trailhead just after 9 am.  Were able to drive within about half a mile from the trailhead- I'd estimate 4600 to 4700'.  Continuous snow started near the trailhead, maybe 4900', with patchy snow on more sun-exposed aspects.  Skinned the entire way except for a short bootpack around a rock outcropping when we first gained the ridge.  Our route also included the "Traverse from Hell" across the upper part of the more southerly aspect of the west bowl.  Ski crampons made the traverse a little more bareable.  Summited just after 1 pm.  Skied the steep north face off the summit then traversed back around to the top of the west bowl.  Snow conditions in the bowl were incredible.  Deep mush once we got back down into the trees.  We were able to ski all the way back to the road by connecting patches of snow towards the bottom- there was a small amount of dirt skiing involved, as well as some tree well rodeo-ing.  I think next weekend will still provide good coverage down low.  After that, more hiking will probably be necessary.

Reply to this TR

june-12-2011-diamond-peak-or
DG
2011-06-13 07:35:05