Home > Trip Reports > June 11, 2011, - Ingalls Peak country

June 11, 2011, - Ingalls Peak country

6/11/11
WA Cascades East Slopes Central
Posted by Lowell_Skoog on 6/11/11 11:35am

Climbing toward Ingalls Pass on frozen snow with ski crampons.

Good skiing in Ingalls Peak country right now. At the last minute I decided to head for the Teanaway this morning. Left Seattle by myself about 5:30 a.m. The road still has a few snow patches, requiring a walk of a half-mile or so. When the snow became fairly continuous, I left the trail and headed more or less straight toward Ingalls Pass. The snow was well frozen so I switched from floppy hiking shoes to skis and ski crampons. Headlight Basin was corning up beautifully when I traversed in around 9:30 a.m.

North Face of Ingalls Peak. There were old snowmobile tracks near where this picture was taken in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.

I skinned and booted to the top of South Ingalls Peak, then skied the NE flank down to Ingalls Lake. I decided to do a loop around North Ingalls Peak, dropping into Jack Creek basin and climbing out just northwest of the peak. The snow on north aspects was variable (crusty on steeps and mushy on flats), but the scenery was interesting. I traversed Fortune Creek basin past Lake Ann and climbed the west ridge of Fortune Peak to the summit. Clouds were backed up along the Cascade Crest, but it was mostly sunny all day. The south flank of Fortune was still pretty good when I started down around 1:45 p.m. I ran into a couple of eastside TAYers just below the summit. Generally the snow was well consolidated. Beautiful day out there.

On the summit of Fortune Peak with South Ingalls in the background.

Lowell please be careful ! That loose boot mode of yours might have caused a ejection at that angle

Nice to run into you on Fortune, Lowell.  Besides two parties of climbers at Ingalls Pass and Crispin & crew coming in late, you were the only person we saw above the trailhead all day.  We skied Fortune's SSW face down at 3 before traversing over to the old trail/jeep road.  It was my best bc run of the year, so far.

author=Robie link=topic=21128.msg90383#msg90383 date=1307847453]
Lowell please be careful ! That loose boot mode of yours might have caused a ejection at that angle

Hi Robie,

Can you explain what you mean?

=== Edited ===

Oh duh! Now I get it. That was some STEEP skinning!  ;)

What a beautiful day!  Rachel & I got a casual (late) start, and planned to visit Headlight Basin but got sidetracked by the friendly slopes of the ~6500' point on the ridge just NW of Long's Pass.  I saw two other parties on skis, and another party of 3 booting it up the road just as we were leaving.

Saw the snowmobile tracks on the trail, too, in the dirt. 

good stuff.  We did Fortune yesterday, ascending on the S side of the ridge past Lake Camp Fire Girls.  Fortune summit was a busy place.  SE bowl was in great shape for turns. 

dennyt - I think we must have seen you. I was with a group of 4 and ended up on the same ridge. See my report for our little tour. Really good coditions that day.

lowell - I think you blew by us on the trail on the way up. We saw you descending the bowl. Looked great!

Reply to this TR

june-11-2011-ingalls-peak-country
Lowell_Skoog
2011-06-11 18:35:01