telemark skiingbackcountry skiingPacific NorthwestWashington and Oregonweather linksThe Yuki AwardsMt. Rainier and Mt. Adams
Turns All Year
www.turns-all-year.com
  Help | Search | Login | Register
Turns All Year Trip Reports
Backcountry Skiing and Snowboarding

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
09/20/18, 07:16 AM

Become a TAY Sponsor!

Trip Reports Sponsor
Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
Turns All Year Trip Reports
(1) Viewing these pages constitutes your acceptance of the Terms of Use.
(2) Disclaimer: the accuracy of information here is unknown, use at your own risk.
(3) Trip Report monthly boards: only actual trip report starts a new thread.
(4) Keep it civil and constructive - that is the norm here.

FOAC Snow
Info Exchange

NWAC Avalanche
Forecast
+  Turns All Year Trip Reports
|-+  Hot Air
| |-+  Planned Trips: partners wanted
| | |-+  Baker BC/Hwy 20?  Dec. 28, 2004
:
« previous next »
Pages: [1] | Go Down Print
Author Topic: Baker BC/Hwy 20?  Dec. 28, 2004  (Read 1503 times)
nomad
5Member

Baker BC/Hwy 20?  Dec. 28, 2004
« on: 12/27/04, 05:50 AM »

Anyone up for touring in the table mountain vicinity or anything off hwy 20?  I'll slide wherever there is snow - have the 28th through the 31st open and available for finding freshies.   Call in sick cause the storm coming later this week doesn't look like it will help too much.
curmudgeon

Re: Baker BC/Hwy 20?  Dec. 28, 2004
« Reply #1 on: 12/27/04, 07:18 AM »

Welcome to TAY, Nomad.

I am a member of a geriatric powder front which scours the Baker environs for deposit zones. We will be in the Baker area Thursday through Sunday and always welcome trailbreakers --er, new folks. We are slow, often forget where we are going, inclined to reminisce about some unlikey "olden-times", but we do get some interestiing lines skied in a day's work.

Oh yeah, we are on the early shift.  Now, if you like to mosey up there slowly, leave the parking lot about noon, and return by flashlight, you will want to contact the afternoon shift.  I am sure Mark will chime in with their agenda a little later on.
nomad
5Member

« Reply #2 on: 12/27/04, 08:47 AM »

Thanks for the response Tim

I've been on the forum for a while but forgot my username since I haven't used this site since last season....

I would definitely be interested in finding some of the rare powder in the baker region with your group this thurs through sunday.  I'll send you a pm later.

The early shift works fine.  I've had my fair share of descents by flashlight and, needless to say, they just don't hold the appeal they once used to.

One more thing - hopefully you don't mind that I'm on a splitboard.  It sure makes for a nice skinning track!

Where might you be headed on this weeks outing?
curmudgeon

« Reply #3 on: 12/27/04, 09:33 AM »

We like splitboarders.  We use them to test for avi conditions. Grin

As to where we go ... that is a complex subject.  We start those discussions the night before, continue on the way up in the car, make temporary alterations in the parking lot by what we observe, and then make final adjustments on the trail, depending on what the wind direction is, what it has been, how many other folks are in the BC, how the layers look, what signs we see of stability and instability, and so forth. Generally we will do a quick line in the Blueberry chutes as a stability test in the decision process. This much is constant -- we seek those areas where the snow lies deepest. If snow has blown off one aspect, it has landed on another.  That is where we will be.

I am assuming that you have all of your avi equipment -- all of it -- and know how to use it, right?  PM me with your email and we will keep you posted on our plans for the upcoming 4 day weekend.
markharf

« Reply #4 on: 12/27/04, 09:34 AM »

Hmmmm.  Splitboarder willing to break trail.  Hmmmm.
nomad
5Member

« Reply #5 on: 12/27/04, 04:42 PM »

Awww, come on!  Since I'm a splitboarder I must be reckless, break cornices off on unsuspecting skiers below, ride consolidated snow over surface hoar, tour with a transciever but no shovel, ski windslabs in the middle of large storms and come down big open slopes at the same time as the rest of my party.  Well, anyways - I know you didn't mean it.  I'm sure splitboarders probably deserve at least a little of their bad reputation.  So yes, I do have the gear and knowledge.

As for the area, I wasn't sure if you might be considering touring in areas other than in the immediate baker vicinity.  I haven't been around lately (been out in the Rockies - talk about bad avy conditions) so I'm not sure how much snow there might be in the twin sisters area, silver star, goat mtn, etc.  Also not sure if the access roads are very filled in yet.  Herman/Table/Ptarmigan/Artist should probably be fine at the upper elevations.  

Cheers
a1leyez0nm3
5Member

« Reply #6 on: 01/03/05, 07:53 AM »

hey i was thinking  of getting a split board , but they look like they would break... what do you say? thanks for let me thread  hi-jack  Grin
curmudgeon

« Reply #7 on: 01/04/05, 02:36 AM »

hey i was thinking  of getting a split board , but they look like they would break... what do you say? thanks for let me thread  hi-jack  Grin

Doooooood, you really need to have a look at Chris' board at: http://www.splitboard.com/

(Now, can we have our thread back? Wink
powscraper

« Reply #8 on: 01/04/05, 03:24 PM »

Mine hasn't broken yet.  I think all the base material will be gone before it actually breaks.  I bet you could break it if you really tried to though.
Pages: [1] | Go Up Print 
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Thank you to our sponsors!
click to visit our sponsor: Feathered Friends
Feathered Friends
click to visit our sponsor: Marmot Mountain Works
Marmot Mountain Works
click to visit our sponsor: Second Ascent
Second Ascent
click to visit our sponsor: American Alpine Institute
American Alpine Institute
click to visit our sponsor: Pro Guiding Service
Pro Guiding Service
Contact turns-all-year.com

Turns All Year Trip Reports ©2001-2010 Turns All Year LLC. All Rights Reserved

The opinions expressed in posts are those of the poster and do not necessarily
reflect the opinions of Trip Reports administrators or Turns All Year LLC

Turns All Year Trip Reports | Powered by SMF 1.0.6.
© 2001-2005, Lewis Media. All Rights Reserved.